SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 93 engine_all HOT?

hi there, looking at buying a 01 9-3 coupe and the guy sais eventough its not an SE, that the 01's all came with the High output turbo engine..is this true?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Untrue, The 2001 9-3 lists 3 possible engines:

2.0L I4 DOHC B205K Turbo
2.0L I4 DOHC B205K High Output Turbo
2.3L I4 DOHC B235G High Output Turbo - Viggen

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
tristan tumble said:
hi there, looking at buying a 01 9-3 coupe and the guy sais eventough its not an SE, that the 01's all came with the High output turbo engine..is this true?
Go by your VIN, character number 8 should be for the engine type.
Beware of those who "know it all" - I only wish I did..Secure a second, even third opinion...
Diosnoche does know what he speaks of..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, 8th digit = 'n' its HOT, if 'p' its not? is that right?

was there anything really different in 01 then previouse years? Could a none SE car have the HOT engine? or if there is no SE symbol ont he side, its definetly not HOT?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
In the US, 58% of the 2001 models came with the 2L HOT engine, 6% were the 2.3L (Viggen), and the rest were the base 2L.

It gets more complicated when you add in models sold in Europe and elsewhere, because the model names (S, SE, etc) do not come with the same equipment in other countries. In other words, as posted above, you have to look at the VIN to be sure.

edit:

List of Saab engine types, 1985-2002, pasted from the Saab EPC:

B201 2.0 l engine with single camshaft

B202 2.0 l engine with twin camshafts, -1993

B202S 2.0 l turbocharged engine with twin camshafts, without charge air cooler

B204 I 2.0 l engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts

B204L/E/R 2.0 l turbocharged engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts, charge air cooler, normal/low/high power output

B204S 2.0 l turbocharged engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts, without charge air cooler

B205L/E/R 2.0 l turbocharged engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts, charge air cooler, normal/low/high power output

B206 2.0 l engine with twin camshafts, 1994

B212 2.1 l engine with twin camshafts

B234 I 2.3 l engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts

B234L/E/R 2.3 l turbocharged engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts, charge air cooler, normal/low/high power output

B235E/R 2.3 l turbocharged engine with twin camshafts and twin balancer shafts, charge air cooler, normal/low/high power output

B258 2.5 l 6-cyl. engine

B308 3.0 l 6-cyl. engine

B308E 3.0 6-cyl. turbocharged engine

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so once againk, if Canada in my instance, if it doesn't have the SE marking it could still be a HOT? I'll have a look at the serial number, thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yeah always make sure YOURSELF by checking the 8th character in the VIN, this is the engine code. The 10th is the Year code.

You know how it is here, people love to make up their own trim level marking and brand their own cars, especially people with Acura's and Honda's; ie: TL type-SiR, GTR, GTSR, these were all made up because to these people adding a R to the trim level marking makes the car super fast.

Its good you came here to ask and educate yourself from people who actually know these cars, not the dealer or sales guy that will say anything to move it off his lot

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
tristan tumble said:
so once againk, if Canada in my instance, if it doesn't have the SE marking it could still be a HOT?
I don't know how to look up what was sold in any specific country. Occasionally, there is a country code on a given part in EPC, but there is no backward reference I have access to, sorry.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
tristan tumble said:
yeah, 8th digit = 'n' its HOT, if 'p' its not? is that right?
Wrong

4 cyl. 2.0L F.I. Turbo (VIN H) Regular
4 cyl. 2.0L F.I. H.O. Turbo (VIN K) High Output Turbo
4 cyl. 2.3L F.I. H.O. Turbo (VIN G) Viggen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts