SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. So Ive had a small coolant leak for a while that, I noticed the Fill Coolant alarm going off more frequently lately. Well this morning while driving to an interview, it went off, and I noticed the temp was creeping up so I pulled over and sure enough the reservoir was empty. I filled it and it dumped it as quick as I could pour it in. It was a race to get the cap on, which stemmed the flow a bit. It held enough to get me a few miles before the alarm went off again, and I watched the temp, which didnt budge. On the way home I filled it and did the same. Watching the temp, which never moved, but filling the reservoir every few miles just in case. The water seems to be coming from the Drivers side front ish.
Now at home a few hours later, it seems to be holding fluid again. I don’t get it. I’m going to go run it and see what it does but I was hoping for a little direction if anyone could point me in one. I don’t have a mechanic, so Ill have to pick one at random and hope he does me right. Thanks in advance for any and all help/ideas.
*looking into possibly bypass valve or hose coming from expansion tank?

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
It's possibly the bypass valve, but that is right back at the firewall. Shine a light past the rear fuse box at the firewall, that should show it. If it's dumping coolant that quickly, you should be able to see what is going on. In my experience, the valve does not leak catastrophically, even when it's been leaking for a while, so I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Does the coolant run out while the engine is off, or only when the engine is running? Sounds like not, right now?

My money would be on the radiator doing something bad, though it could be a hose that has a tear. Water pump is over the the passenger side, but if it leaks on the underbody shield, the coolant would come out more in the centre of the car.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I don’t have a mechanic, so Ill have to pick one at random and hope he does me right.
Where are you?

Put your location in here and see if you can find a local Saab shop.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dollars to donuts it is the radiator end cap. The radiator is aluminum and the end caps are plastic. The typical failure is on the hot side, ie left side of the radiator. My guess is that when the coolant is hot and pressurized it is opening the seam between the aluminum and the plastic. Btw, eeuroparts has a great price for radiators at the moment

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Suggest you use a coolant pressure tester (can rent for free at auto parts store). It would be the easiest way to find the leak. As already said, the radiator would be a suspect (happened to me some months ago …crack in seam between the plastic and aluminum… the leak only showed when I put the system under pressure). But also check the pipe connections at the turbo and all the hoses at the front (hose from thermostat to radiator, the other hoses in that area, etc.) as coolant can travel quite a bit before it hits the ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh man. So I had a new radiator put in. $700 later and after a few days I notice a leak in my frickin driveway on the other side. Then, bingbong! Fluid light comes on!! I put fluid in it and sure enough I can see it dripping. A new radiator and a thermostat and a new leak to boot! I dying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its on the passenger side now. Its just blowing my mind that I take it in for on coolant leak, pay $700 and they return it with a totally different coolant leak. Im just worried hes going to try and charge me for a whole new job when theres no friggin way, right?

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Something is going on, either the shop is ripping you off, or there are some kind of issues with your car that are causing recurring leaks.

Have you checked the oil dipstick? Any 'mayonnaise' on it?

I would start by asking the shop how they tested their rad installation to ensure that there are no leaks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Not trying to defend the shop but...

If you told them to replace the radiator and thermostat and they did, then they followed your instructions. If the radiator leak was bad enough that the engine had coolant all over it (especially so if the radiator fans were running and blowing coolant) then they might not have been able to tell if there were other leaks. If you told them to check the entire system for leaks, then it would have been difficult for them to do so without installing the new radiator first and then testing it. The "new" leak may only be happening after the system is pressurized and since the radiator was leaking it wasn't fully pressurizing..

After the repair should they have run the engine up to temperature and then checked it for leaks under pressure? Of course they should have - but you would have gotten a call from them explaining the new leak. The labor to fix it is the same either way. Maybe they'll split the cost with you - ask them what they'll do.

I doubt they did anything to cause the new leak. It's a bit of bad luck for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not trying to defend the shop but...

If you told them to replace the radiator and thermostat and they did, then they followed your instructions. If the radiator leak was bad enough that the engine had coolant all over it (especially so if the radiator fans were running and blowing coolant) then they might not have been able to tell if there were other leaks. If you told them to check the entire system for leaks, then it would have been difficult for them to do so without installing the new radiator first and then testing it. The "new" leak may only be happening after the system is pressurized and since the radiator was leaking it wasn't fully pressurizing..

After the repair should they have run the engine up to temperature and then checked it for leaks under pressure? Of course they should have - but you would have gotten a call from them explaining the new leak. The labor to fix it is the same either way. Maybe they'll split the cost with you - ask them what they'll do.

I doubt they did anything to cause the new leak. It's a bit of bad luck for sure.
I brought it to them because of a large coolant leak. One guy said it was a cracked end tank, another said no pointed to another spot on the radiator, that the crusty orange stuff was a dead give away, IDK. At the same time they said I needed a new Thermostat.
Job done.
Next day my temp gauge drops off the map while driving. It has done that 2 Times in the last week since Ive had it back.
And it also has a new coolant leak on the passenger side.
Mech says, “well its either the water pump or the o rings” they were going bad 5 years ago when the previous owner brought it in. the whole thing is just bizarre and sucking me dry at a bad time. If I would have known I may not have bothered. It was a $2000 car 4 years ago. Putting $1200 into it is starting to look like foolishness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts