SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I got my thermostat and coolant temp sensor changed about a month ago. Since last week, on cold starts the temp gauge is not working and I get cel p0117 for low voltage on coolant temp circuit. However, after I drive the car for a while and restart, the gauge works fine.

I am suspecting a faulty coolant temp sensor or wiring. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd try replacing the thermostat for giggles, my 9-5 did this for a while as well, ended up being the thermostat, very rarely do the temp sensors go bad...

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 03 9-5 Aero did this with the same code. Checked open / closed loop status and it was in closed loop which means normal operating temperature detected by ECU. It could be the sensor itself / connector / wiring.

My issue went away by itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much for your inputs. I got a P0119 as well today. So believe the sensor is the problem.

When the sensor is working, I check the temp with OBDII and it is where its supposed to be (~90 C). So guess this should eliminate the probability of a bad thermostat.

Will drive around for a while more to see if it gets worse or will go by itself somehow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just an update. The problem is solved. Apparently the insulation around the wires going to coolant temp sensor were burned off for whatever reason. So they were touching each other some times (hence P0117). They are re-insulated now and everything seems to be fine.

I also found this article about the same code P0117 and this case was a bent pin. Just FYI in case somebody gets the same CEL P0117.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts