SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My Saab has a tapping noise coming from the top side of the engine nearest to the radiator. If it's a lifter noise, how difficult is it to replace. I did clean my oil pan and pickup screen. The noise is still there. And sorry I did post this in another thread but I see this one is got more action. Thanks:lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2001 9-5 Lifter noise

Just thought of something. If I took the serpentine belt off, the noise should stop if it's the water pump? Thanks:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Just thought of something. If I took the serpentine belt off, the noise should stop if it's the water pump? Thanks:cheesy:
That's correct - you can run the engine (briefly) with the belt removed. A bad pulley or tensioner can make a lot of noise. Check each pulley with the belt off (car not running of course).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2001 9-5 Lifter noise

Took the belt off, the tapping is still there. Wish brings me back to square one, is there a thread on lifter replacement? Thanks:cry:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've had this experience myself and thought I might work up the stones to take on th job myself. The stethoscope method will only get you close though as I learned here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2001 9-5

I had read that one, but before I get in there, I just want to know what actually need to get done. Like I know the valve cover needs to come off, then what? Are the lifters right there or do the cams need to be removed as well? Thanks

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I think you might jumping the gun a little. So are you sure it isn't your injectors? And what kind of oil are you using? Try some Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 and see if it makes it quiter. You don't just replace lifters without being completely sure and on our cars I think they are called shim cups. Either way try other things before pull the cams out and causing more work for yourself. Unless one collapses I wouldn't touch them. Also what kind of oil filter are using too? Some don't have anti-drain back valves http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml . Good luck and do some reaserch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2001 9-5 Lifter noise

I'm using Mobile1 full synth with matching filter. I bought this car as having a bad starter, it turned out to be the direct ignition or cassette. Once the car cranked, surprise tap, tap, so I read the forums and came across the pickup screen clogging issue, so I did the cleaning. The tapping still there although reduced but not buy much. It's definitely in the top. Maybe the lifter dropped like you mentioned? Thanks everyone for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If these engines sit for a long period of time, oil drains from the lifters, you may have to let it idle for a half hour or so for pressure to build up and then they will quiet down.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
If it was me like I said I would try a different mix of oil like 5w-40 and see how it does. Also I wouldn't Mobil 1 oil filters either, try a Purolator Pure One http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx . I am thinking you aren't getting oil all the way up to the top of your engine like you should. Did you happen to change out the o-ring on the pickup tube when you dropped your oil pan? These get very hard over time from the heat and loose some of there sealing abilities. But if you have a bad shim cup it will sound like a rod is knocking but on the top of your engine. They will wear out after time and not build up oil in them but it isn't really common. While you are trying to figure this out read up on some AutoRX because you might even have caked old oil in your shim cups that is keeping them from building up pressure. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I just don't want you to blow alot of money and find out it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2001 9-5 Lifter noise

Yes, that's exactly how it sounds, a rod but at the top. I did replace the o-ring, I think you're absolutly right about the shims not charging beacuse of caked oil. I'll read up on the AutoRx, any possible option is welcome, as long as I don't have to go inside. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts