SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have problem with oil loss in 9-5 B235E enigne, which is rather common topic :)
It loses around 1ltr per 1000km and honestly due to economic and environmental reasons it's driving me crazy. Till this year, car wasn't frequently used, but due to the fact that I changed job, I started using it on 100km drive way every two days. Few engine inspections does not show any abnormal oil leak, it has slightly wet chain tensioner and lowest belt pulley, but no leak from oil pressure switch and so on, also it doesn't give mark on a ground when car is parked.

Visible issues are:
  • occasionally smoke from exhaust pipe, which starts some seconds after start up, it's definietly not from the crank beginning
  • very rarely it puffs smoke from the exhaust under heavy boost when car is overtaking or so on
From the past following maintnance work were done:
  • PCV#6 kit installed for sure and probably some cleaning of camshaft cover pipes was done, but I'm not sure about it as it was done before I bought this car
  • PCV check valve changed and it is OK
  • compression test done - mechanic told it had 14bar on each cyllinder, probably only dry test was done
  • turbo changed due to crack inside and big shaft play, but it was clean and dry inside :)
  • I checked oil filler pipe with glove test, and it suck it very hard, also there is no positive crankcase pressure on boost, so on every engine load it sucks glove inside the tube - it sounds terrible :)
My question is what to do next with that? My first idea is to check again PCV#6 kit and make another cleaning of valve cover pipes inside. Do you have other idea?
Thank you for every advise in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you were to tell me this was any other engine, I would say it sounds like valve seals leaking by. I've never really heard of this being an issue with Saabs unless your engine is of higher mileage/kilometerage? (sp?)..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Official kilometerage is 200kkm, so 125000 miles. In Central Europe you never could be sure in case of used car, but I doubt that it could be much more.
Old spark plugs were not black.
I was also thinking about valve seals after wall, but I heard that it is not common fail for these engines:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts