SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have fears my TWICE module has gone bad, or is on it's way out for numerous reasons. I've owned the car for a short while now, and sorting out all the issues one by one.

It's been raining past two days here, and I noticed my alarm kept going off so I unplugged the battery and let it sit for a while whilst the rain slowed. Went in today, replugged batterry and alarm kept going off. Decided to pull the alarm module and order some batteries and tear the box apart. That's still sitting on the bench in the garage waiting for the batteries to arrive.

After the unit was pulled, I wanted to move the car, but alas, nothing. Central locking no longer works, hazard lights are going bonkers, and can't turn them off. Tried to start a few times, all of which would result in the starter bumping once then clicking. (I did pair the fob by inserting to the key slot and pressing unlock/lock buttons on the fob and it wanted to start up). Since I got the car, it hasn't rained, and a few minor issues here and there during dry weather which was all seeming sorted (see other thread I posted for info).

I have not yet pulled the seat and checked the TWICE for moisture, I currently do not have a Tech2 scanner (ordering one here today) which is reasoning for not pulling it incase things go sour and for some reason it looses it's program to the car whilst on the bench.

I do not necessarily believe my DICE unit is faulty, as the hazards seem to be going off as if it were the alarm going off. The floor board is seemingly dry where I can feel it, but it is very very humid in the car.. I can not confirm the TWICE module has not been wetted by humidity.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what else I could look at in this time to see if there is another culprit for the Hazards going nuts, central lock not responding to the FOB NOR the central button (fuse is not blown for the central locks, I just checked).

I look forward to answers, or pointing me to threads of similar nature. I have searched a bit before deciding to post looking for additional info though :). Also, if this is not the correct spot to post issues, please let me know for the future!

Thank you in advance my friends!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has tried to crank a few times, I can hear the starter motor turning the engine over slightly before stopping as if the battery was not providing enough amps. I’ll try to jump start it soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery. Jump starting isn’t recommended….but it’s your car.
Dont mind the insta-response, however, is jump starting these cars bad for certain control units? Some of my old cars I've had, definitely did not have as many security and specialty modules in them. (civics, subarus, dodges, hyundais even... all generic run of the mill cars.) so jump starting those cars was not an issue to get it moved.

The alarm module did go off for maybe 1.5hrs whilst I was not home(so a neighbor told me).

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
I have jump started 9-5's for twenty years and never heard it is an issue nor had a problem.

The problem with your alarm module is not the batteries it is dried out capacitors, I have rebuilt many units with success and have never replaced the batteries.

There is a super long thread on the issue here somewhere.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I’ve also jump-started my Saabs (I’ve owned five, three currently: two NG 9-3s and a 9-5) on rare occasions without issue over 24 years. I mentioned “not recommended” since that’s the generally-accepted advice here. But, as I said it’s your car.

Edit: And as others have said here many times, our cars can do really strange things when a battery is discharged, even a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have jump started 9-5's for twenty years and never heard it is an issue nor had a problem.

The problem with your alarm module is not the batteries it is dried out capacitors, I have rebuilt many units with success and have never replaced the batteries.

There is a super long thread on the issue here somewhere.
The batteries themselves have corrosions inside the alarm module, but I do recall seeing the thread mentioning the capacitors I will go searching for it to get the correct specs @ the defined volts. I have a bit of experience with a soldering iron, I will head to the local electronics shop and swap the caps out whilst the batteries are being soldered in to hopefully not have to hear the alarm module go off on it's own for many months or years to come!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
The batteries themselves have corrosions inside the alarm module,
Interesting, I haven't seen that yet but truth be told I haven't done module fix for about ten years, nobody fixes them anymore they just get yanked out and into the bin...no-one steals Saabs.

I mentioned “not recommended” since that’s the generally-accepted advice here.
I've never heard that it isn't recommended.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting, I haven't seen that yet but truth be told I haven't done module fix for about ten years, nobody fixes them anymore they just get yanked out and into the bin...no-one steals Saabs.
Being an 01, I have found numerous bits of odd corrosion. If I remember to grab some pics when doing all the solder work, I'll post them up! It's not horrid corrosion, but enough that spending $15 on new batteries will ease my mind during the entire restoration process of this car.

(I bought it to do an OEM+ style build, where it appears as close to factory-new as possible, with minor enhancements. Of course, mechanical funcitonality is my biggest hurdle right now as seen by all three of my threads lol!)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
First: You probably have flooded TWICE (which contains alarm module).
So you need another TWICE and paired key AND TECH2.
Second: TWICE is alarm module, you have take SIREN out.
Third: You need to double check where water is leaking to car and fix it.

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan '98 corolla until my 9-5's engine is finished:'~((
112 Posts
I have a refurbished alarm module (new batteries and new capacitors) for a 9-5. Mistakenly bought it for my car when I had a wiring issue. I'd sell for $125, lmk if you're interested

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
How you refurbished TWICE?
TWICE do not have batteries.

I'd say that you refurbished SIREN.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Key (fob) has alarm related parts in it, so key is alarm module?
Ignition switch has alarm related parts in it, so ignition switch is alarm module?
Your car has Volvo related parts, so your car is Volvo?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New battery was swapped, car refuses to turn engine over when fuse #17 is installed.
When fuse #17 is removed, will crank but no start as expected with ENGINE CONTROL MODULE is not receiving power.

i have eliminated the theory the actual 12v main battery is bad, as well as the starter motor going bad.

It seems like I am experiencing an immobilize fault which falls in place with the TWICE module failures.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts