SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep $700. I got this mentality where i won't pay no more then $1000 for a car, to this day i have not done it yet other than my SUV. Most expensive one was $900 and the cheapest one was free cause the lady wanted it out her yard. She couldn't get a title cause the car came with the house she bought. No one would touch it without the title. I'm going to keep it though. Those 5 speeds are getting hard to find. My wagon is even more rare, its a 5 speed aero too. Now if it had been an automatic then I would say yes, I would try and flip it. I might be on the hunt for a '06+ 9-5 wagon with a manual but I'm waiting till I get this one going. I'm very picky when it comes to my cars. There was one I was almost about to take the trip for out there in Newport. It had everything I wanted, white, the two tone seats (black with the cream inserts) and it was a manual. They sold it before I got the money for it. If I can't find one then I just might end up building one.
Sounds like you know your Saabs, man!
I've got a couple mechanic questions for you:

1) On my '99 9-5, 2.3t manual, how would you go about dropping the oil pan? Done that before? Lift the engine? Lift the tranny? Partially remove/drop the subframe?

2) Have you ever messed with the rack and pinion on one of these cars?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sounds like you know your Saabs, man!
I've got a couple mechanic questions for you:

1) On my '99 9-5, 2.3t manual, how would you go about dropping the oil pan? Done that before? Lift the engine? Lift the tranny? Partially remove/drop the subframe?

2) Have you ever messed with the rack and pinion on one of these cars?
It's not that bad doing the oil pan on the 9-5. That's one thing you should definitely do to check for sludge. Sludge is what killed the original engine in my wagon. Then I put the second one in and didn't check it and had to go back and drop the pan to clean the screen. The 9-3 you have to partially drop the sub frame (I just did my mom's convertible) the 9-5 you do not. When I did mine, I took off the top motor mount and pulled the engine up with a engine lift, but my motor mounts are bad so my engine was sitting on the frame. I had to do it that way to get to the bolts on the side. I think I supported it with a block of wood on a jack under the tranny but I don't remember, its been 4 years. The other thing, I can't remember if it was an aero manual thing or a thing for the manuals for the first two years. The oil pan and the lower tranny cover are one whole piece. You have to cut to holes in the side of the pan to get to the last two bolts. I'll try and find it for you, it was a pain. I hope you don't have that pan. I got rid of mine and put a normal one on mine. I'll get the oil pan write up too for you. To me, the most aggravating part (after finding out about those bolts being covered lol) was getting the pan back on with gasket sealer since these cars don't have a oil pan gasket. I kept bumping the bottom of the engine smudging the sealant but I eventually got it.

The rack and pinion is one thing I have not messed with yet on these cars. I will be finding out though because my wagon needs new things in that area so I will be in there sooner or later.

Ooh idk if PayPal alerted you but I sent your items off this morning and I put the tracking number on the PayPal receipt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
idk if PayPal alerted you but I sent your items off this morning and I put the tracking number on the PayPal receipt.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. This car got the new PCV system early but I definitely NEED to do this anyway for my own peace of mind, if nothing else. Even if the sludge isn't BAD, that pickup screen's still probably loaded with junk after this many miles (208k).
I'll have her up on jackstands soon so I can take a better look. I hope I don't have the 'nightmare' pan you mentioned, too. But my experience is that if there is 'nightmare' oil pan out there, I will surely buy one without knowing! Lol
Yes I got notice of the shipments. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ooh idk if PayPal alerted you but I sent your items off this morning and I put the tracking number on the PayPal receipt.

I got the parts today, great stuff, thanks man! Turns out I didn't need the button blanks after all, but having them on-hand allowed me to work much less cautiously on the ones from my car this evening, so it definitely saved me a bunch of time and nerves!
And with just a little monster glue and patience, my bulb access panel is as good as new now. Probably stronger, actually. =)
Thanks again for the hookup!
CUSTOM AUX INPUT 1.jpg CUSTOM MIC POD 1.jpg REPAIRED BULB ACCESS 2.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I got the parts today, great stuff, thanks man! Turns out I didn't need the button blanks after all, but having them on-hand allowed me to work much less cautiously on the ones from my car this evening, so it definitely saved me a bunch of time and nerves!
And with just a little monster glue and patience, my bulb access panel is as good as new now. Probably stronger, actually. =)
Thanks again for the hookup!
View attachment 270007 View attachment 270008 View attachment 270010
No problem. I was going to take the trunk liner out that side of the car but I figured you didn't want to do that much work, and I didn't want to break it cause I know I wouldn't have had the patients to get it off thats why I cut that whole piece like that. I want to do a aux input in my wagon but I want Bluetooth (I'm lazy don't want to plug nothing up). What I've found out, that I'm going to do, is that the Samsung Tab S 10.5 fits perfectly in the dash over the radio/sid/hvac controls. Once I trim the holding clips for them I can push them back enough so the tablet will sit flush on the dash. Then I have to make a small hinged holder to sit the tablet in so it can swing out when I have to get to the hvac controls/see the sid. It gives me a nice Tesla look to my dash. I just wish I could get sid and hvac controls to be on the tablet then I wouldn't have to move it at all. This pic is sid, radio and hvac out the dash and the tablet sitting there to get a glimpse of how it will look.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No problem. I was going to take the trunk liner out that side of the car but I figured you didn't want to do that much work, and I didn't want to break it cause I know I wouldn't have had the patients to get it off thats why I cut that whole piece like that. I want to do a aux input in my wagon but I want Bluetooth (I'm lazy don't want to plug nothing up). What I've found out, that I'm going to do, is that the Samsung Tab S 10.5 fits perfectly in the dash over the radio/sid/hvac controls. Once I trim the holding clips for them I can push them back enough so the tablet will sit flush on the dash. Then I have to make a small hinged holder to sit the tablet in so it can swing out when I have to get to the hvac controls/see the sid. It gives me a nice Tesla look to my dash. I just wish I could get sid and hvac controls to be on the tablet then I wouldn't have to move it at all. This pic is sid, radio and hvac out the dash and the tablet sitting there to get a glimpse of how it will look. View attachment 270012
Haha that's dope!
I prefer a wired connexn to my phone cuz it charges it too, and better sound quality and reliability than Bluetooth. Plus, in my case, I want an android auto compatible stereo, and the ones that can do that wirelessly are double the cost.
Could the SIC and ACC information and functions be available/controllable through the Tech 2 system somehow? If so, some freelance software guru in India could probably make you an Android app for your tablet for just a few hundred bucks, I would imagine. That would be ultimate sickness.
Here is the finished USB port for my phone. The AUX will go to the right of it where that other blank is. 20191130_211937.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Haha that's dope!
I prefer a wired connexn to my phone cuz it charges it too, and better sound quality and reliability than Bluetooth. Plus, in my case, I want an android auto compatible stereo, and the ones that can do that wirelessly are double the cost.
Could the SIC and ACC information and functions be available/controllable through the Tech 2 system somehow? If so, some freelance software guru in India could probably make you an Android app for your tablet for just a few hundred bucks, I would imagine. That would be ultimate sickness.
Here is the finished USB port for my phone. The AUX will go to the right of it where that other blank is. View attachment 270025
I'm going see of I can find out. It only makes sense since everything else on these cars electronic wise is only changeable with the tech 2. Since the both sid and hvac are computer/digitally controlled I don't see why some app couldn't be written to control them from the tablet. Now you got me wondering.

I like that usb port, that's something I would like for my phone cause the plug for my lighter is loose. Sometimes I hit a bump and it moves just enough to stop charging. Does it in my SUV too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm going see of I can find out. It only makes sense since everything else on these cars electronic wise is only changeable with the tech 2. Since the both sid and hvac are computer/digitally controlled I don't see why some app couldn't be written to control them from the tablet. Now you got me wondering.

I like that usb port, that's something I would like for my phone cause the plug for my lighter is loose. Sometimes I hit a bump and it moves just enough to stop charging. Does it in my SUV too.
Took me maybe 20-30 min to make over the course of a few days to let glue/sealant dry. $5 USB extension cable and some adhesives. Here's how I did mine...
The factory plug was carefully hollowed out from the back with flush cutters and needle-nose pliers, leaving only the snap-in prongs intact, then the square hole was measured and scribed out. THe hole was rough-cut with a dremel tool and lolipop burr, and then I used an exacto knife for finishing the walls and sharp corners.
The USB extension cable was then tacked in place with quick-dry super glue, then very strongly mounted with a generous amount of gorilla glue. After that cured for a day, I then fill the entire cavity around the USB cable with a some silicone sealant to restore the plastic piece's structural integrity and lock in the cable really solid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
hi
Thanks for those fog lights. i have not installed them but it just cleaned up and look good
No problem, I'm glad they can get used. I was going to use them on my wagon but I think I'm going to go with some custom made LED ones. I want to try and integrate white and yellow leds together into one housing and use that switching adaptor that turns the white off when I hit the signals but have it all look like the factory lights.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Took me maybe 20-30 min to make over the course of a few days to let glue/sealant dry. $5 USB extension cable and some adhesives. Here's how I did mine...
The factory plug was carefully hollowed out from the back with flush cutters and needle-nose pliers, leaving only the snap-in prongs intact, then the square hole was measured and scribed out. THe hole was rough-cut with a dremel tool and lolipop burr, and then I used an exacto knife for finishing the walls and sharp corners.
The USB extension cable was then tacked in place with quick-dry super glue, then very strongly mounted with a generous amount of gorilla glue. After that cured for a day, I then fill the entire cavity around the USB cable with a some silicone sealant to restore the plastic piece's structural integrity and lock in the cable really solid.
Im definitely going to try that usb one. Could use that in the wife's car too. I always like to go for that clean factory installed look. I never like when aftermarket looks aftermarket lol. That's the reason I'm going with the tablet covering everything because I can't stand the different color of the bezel and the way the double din touch screens poke out a little on the dash. I seen so many installs and they all do the same thing and have that same color variant, they just don't look good to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im definitely going to try that usb one. Could use that in the wife's car too. I always like to go for that clean factory installed look. I never like when aftermarket looks aftermarket lol. That's the reason I'm going with the tablet covering everything because I can't stand the different color of the bezel and the way the double din touch screens poke out a little on the dash. I seen so many installs and they all do the same thing and have that same color variant, they just don't look good to me.
I'm like you, I NEED it to be clean. Not perfect, but clean, flush, etc. I'm pretty happy with mine given the somewhat tight budget and small amount of labor. Factory scheme has gray AND black plastic everywhere anyway. I am bummed they couldn't get the bezel color right though.
The picture of the head unit is just a mock up, slid into new cage but not fully mounted. It will be a little more perfectly centered and parallel when I'm done. And it will definitely be sitting in there flush.
What do you think? Still too aftermarket? It's good enough for me. 😉
20191207_103935.jpg 20191207_103944.jpg

41 - 52 of 52 Posts