SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Need some help, bought a 9-3 tdi, the 2.2, about 18 months ago. It has been brilliant, good performance and mpg.
Only problem EGR valve and you guys solved it for me.
Now the car wont start, it turns over but doesn't even try to fire up.

Any help will be gratefully received.

cheers Ken

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Both the EGR and glow plug systems are maintenance items, with finite service lives.
And this is also true of the fuel filter, which must be changed after X miles.
I guess the Euro-GM Diesels use glow plugs, similar to VW and Mercedes.
Try out your heat measuring gun on the glow plugs. If just two are out, she may unsuccessfully try to start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thanks for that.
Have just tried it and it started after turning for quite a while.
Could it be the fuel filter, recently changed the oil,oil filter and air filter. Has started several times since, started straight away with hardly any turnover.
How hard is it to change the fuel filter, must get a haynes manual for it.

cheers ken

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was the car parked on a hill with nose upwards? Then you have a problem with leaking fuel return pipes (very common with these engines) - air gets sucked into fuel lines and the diesel drains back to the tank. As there is no auxiliary pump in the tank, the injection pump must pull the fuel all the way through the lines and that takes time.
Replacement is cheap and DIYable with moderate skills.

Fuel filter replacement is also not brain surgery: lift right rear end of the car and look for a big black (plastic) can in front of the wheel. Push it upwards (with reasonable force) and once unlocked lower it to the ground. There is a cable connected to the top - do not break it.
Here is a picture of the forementioned can:

Note the position of cover/housing. There is just one long screw through the housing, remove it, pull apart (there is some fuel inside), throw away the old filter and gaskets, replace with new ones and reassemble. Expect longer cranking times after the change; to ease it fill housing with some fuel before reassembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was the car parked on a hill with nose upwards? Then you have a problem with leaking fuel return pipes (very common with these engines) - air gets sucked into fuel lines and the diesel drains back to the tank. As there is no auxiliary pump in the tank, the injection pump must pull the fuel all the way through the lines and that takes time.
Replacement is cheap and DIYable with moderate skills.

Fuel filter replacement is also not brain surgery: lift right rear end of the car and look for a big black (plastic) can in front of the wheel. Push it upwards (with reasonable force) and once unlocked lower it to the ground. There is a cable connected to the top - do not break it.
Here is a picture of the forementioned can:

Note the position of cover/housing. There is just one long screw through the housing, remove it, pull apart (there is some fuel inside), throw away the old filter and gaskets, replace with new ones and reassemble. Expect longer cranking times after the change; to ease it fill housing with some fuel before reassembly.

I also have this prob if i leave her for more than 2-3 days but she does'ant have to be on a hill. But with a few cranks of the engine she has always fired ''saying that she better start in the morning''. What do you think ? Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As is the norm with me and cars it has run perfectly since I posted on the forum,it is parked facing slightly uphill but has always started and now starts every time.
When it gets a little warmer will change the fuel filter and check for leaks.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts