SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first Saab an I’ve ran into some issues. The day I bought the car I drove it 45+ mins back home without the known issue happening. Car will run just fine but randomly the car dies then struggles to start again for 10-15 mins. I can also hear the fuel pump pressurizing when turning the key so I don’t expect that. After a couple hours of research I expected it to either be bad plugs, DIC, CPS. So far I have replaced the plugs with NGK Platinum from advanced auto. I have 2 spare DIC’s with the car, and I have no clue if either are better condition then the one on it. ( no engine lights/codes ) my next goal is to replace the cps. Is there any other causes such as vacuum lines, turbo, fuel?. The car is a 2001 9-3 B205R with 196,xxx. I just got her and already fell in love. PLEASE HELPPPPP.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I think you're on the right path. If you have spare DICs, try one... sounds like it can't get worse. OTOH, if they are spares that came with the car chances are it's because the PO tried that and failed, or they're old and dead. If so, move onto the CPS.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are those plugs the exact type specified in the manual? The Trionic system and the DIC are designed for a specific plug type (for knock detection feedback etc.) Other than that, the symptom sounds like classic CPS failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're on the right path. If you have spare DICs, try one... sounds like it can't get worse. OTOH, if they are spares that came with the car chances are it's because the PO tried that and failed, or they're old and dead. If so, move onto the CPS.
From what I’m reading in all the paper work that came with the car. The DIC was replaced back in 2016 with an OEM. I swapped the DIC when I put the plugs in it. That’s when it gave me worse issues. So I ended up going back to the DIC that was in it. Seems like when it’d run it wouldn’t be for very long. Here’s a really big curve ball for me also. The dude I bought the car off of, bought it for $5.8k that was with a list of mods as well. Such as a Nordic stage 4, down pipe, inter cooler, 3” exhaust, 3.5 bar FPR, and some suspension/interior mods. Would the owner before me reverting the car back to semi stock ( no 3” cat back. Still has downpipe on it. Idk if the FPR is still on it.) cause it to be running incorrectly if it still has a Nordic stage 4 on it but no catback? I’m very new to Saab’s cars. So this is bringing me down. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
304 Posts
My <limited> knowledge about stage 3 tunes is that they are based on Chip + filters + cat/exhausts. That could be the issue. Having a decent DIC and new plugs (to spec) is a good start. If you are missing a part of the stage 3 or stage 4 that could cause some extra issues.
I would also research MAF sensors, as it could be 2 issues you have. I assume you have some decent quality ie High octane fuel in it as well.
Start with DIC, plugs then go from there. Check your vacuum lines and PCV lines/valves.
Issues with starting - could be battery, fuses, ignition barrel, or fuel pump that's on the way out. DIC & Plugs is only part of the sequencing.
My 9-3 is basically stock (apart from suspension) so I cant really speak from personal experience. Best of luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Also - having the B205R - I assume your OEM Coil pack is Black in colour? As having a Red coil pack unit could cause some issues similar to the ones you describe if its not happy to start with, based on my limited T5/T7 knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My <limited> knowledge about stage 3 tunes is that they are based on Chip + filters + cat/exhausts. That could be the issue. Having a decent DIC and new plugs (to spec) is a good start. If you are missing a part of the stage 3 or stage 4 that could cause some extra issues.
I would also research MAF sensors, as it could be 2 issues you have. I assume you have some decent quality ie High octane fuel in it as well.
Start with DIC, plugs then go from there. Check your vacuum lines and PCV lines/valves.
Issues with starting - could be battery, fuses, ignition barrel, or fuel pump that's on the way out. DIC & Plugs is only part of the sequencing.
My 9-3 is basically stock (apart from suspension) so I cant really speak from personal experience. Best of luck.
Yes The DIC is black. Also the plugs are NGK PFR6H-10
I’ll need to check some vacuum lines an etc. but ill be ordering a CPS to see if that will cure the issue. Other then that this car pulls like a train and I’m in love haha

·
Registered
16,909 Posts
If you have a stage 3+ tune, the downpipe would be critical to avoid high EGT's. A photo would tell us if it's after market. A stock pipe will have an upper and lower cat; a non-stock pipe usually just has a small race cat, if any. The cat-back needs to be at least 60mm 2.5" for a stage 3. FYI - stage 4 is pushing it on these motors unless they put in forged pistons. You'd also need the intercooler for stage 3. Again, we could tell probably tell you from a photo but it might be a little hard to see with the bumper on.

Most tunes have Open SID enabled and I assume the Nordic tune would. Pressing + / - on the SID at the same time should bring it up. Usually the first screen you see will tell you the name of the tune, maybe the stage. I'm not familiar with Nordic's tunes but they all like to tell you who they are.

That all said, I don't think it's your run issue. CPS or DIC, leaning to CPS. Classic CPS symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a stage 3+ tune, the downpipe would be critical to avoid high EGT's. A photo would tell us if it's after market. A stock pipe will have an upper and lower cat; a non-stock pipe usually just has a small race cat, if any. The cat-back needs to be at least 60mm 2.5" for a stage 3. FYI - stage 4 is pushing it on these motors unless they put in forged pistons. You'd also need the intercooler for stage 3. Again, we could tell probably tell you from a photo but it might be a little hard to see with the bumper on.

Most tunes have Open SID enabled and I assume the Nordic tune would. Pressing + / - on the SID at the same time should bring it up. Usually the first screen you see will tell you the name of the tune, maybe the stage. I'm not familiar with Nordic's tunes but they all like to tell you who they are.

That all said, I don't think it's your run issue. CPS or DIC, leaning to CPS. Classic CPS symptoms.
CPS is on its way. It’ll be here Wednesday. The car definitely has a stock exhaust system 2.25” maybe 2.5”, 3” down pipe, MP performance aluminum intercooler, an I’m thinking it still has a Nordic Stage 4 based on how the car pulls, but given the exhaust restriction I’m sure it’d preform a lot better. I didn’t see anything on the SID other then factory options. I’m going to look at my ecu a little later to see if there’s anything that may indicate it’s Nordic.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Best of Luck. Hope you get it sorted soon so you can exploit the full Nordic. Post some photos if you can.

·
Registered
16,909 Posts
CPS is on its way. It’ll be here Wednesday. The car definitely has a stock exhaust system 2.25” maybe 2.5”, 3” down pipe, MP performance aluminum intercooler, an I’m thinking it still has a Nordic Stage 4 based on how the car pulls, but given the exhaust restriction I’m sure it’d preform a lot better. I didn’t see anything on the SID other then factory options. I’m going to look at my ecu a little later to see if there’s anything that may indicate it’s Nordic.
Not a Saab Sport exhaust? That would be 60mm, stainless, yes center-flex behind the cat but no center muffler behind that. Round muffler at rear, about 6" x 24" (guess).

Does pressing the + / - buttons simultaneously on the SID do anything? If should put you into Open SID mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a Saab Sport exhaust? That would be 60mm, stainless, yes center-flex behind the cat but no center muffler behind that. Round muffler at rear, about 6" x 24" (guess).

Does pressing the + / - buttons simultaneously on the SID do anything? If should put you into Open SID mode.
Nope the old fellow that owned it the last 8 years took the exhaust off years ago. I should be getting a 3” catback by the weekend. My CPS just came in tonight I’ll update you tomorrow if it’s fixed. Fingers crossed lol. I tried hitting the +/- but never started my car just turned the key on. I’ll try tomorrow morning when i go fix my car. Also any tips for removing the CPS?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope the old fellow that owned it the last 8 years took the exhaust off years ago. I should be getting a 3” catback by the weekend. My CPS just came in tonight I’ll update you tomorrow if it’s fixed. Fingers crossed lol. I tried hitting the +/- but never seen anything about Nordic. I also didn’t start my car, just turned the key on. I’ll try tomorrow morning when i go fix my car. Also any tips for removing the CPS?

·
Registered
16,909 Posts
CPS is a PITA in car due to inaccessibility. Use a good torx bit and work hard not to slip. Heating the screw as hot as you can get it with at Mapp gas torch is probably advisable. If you can get in there and peen the head a little to make the torz tighter that would help, but room is tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CPS is a PITA in car due to inaccessibility. Use a good torx bit and work hard not to slip. Heating the screw as hot as you can get it with at Mapp gas torch is probably advisable. If you can get in there and peen the head a little to make the torz tighter that would help, but room is tight.
I got the CPS off with ease. Fixed the issue perfectly. Thank you everyone so much! I’ll post pictures as soon as I get the girl clean. As far as the stage 4 Nordic I can’t seem to out if it’s Nordic tuned or not. I looked at the ECU an seen it had the owners name, before the owner I bought it off of on it so it must be the tuned ecu!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts