SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the forum. Bought a cheap 2001 9-3 SE Convertible for my winter commute. Has been running fine but developed a misfire(?) issue a couple days back.

Idles fine, but when driving feels like it loses power over 3K rpm and occasionally get flashing engine light. After this also dies every now and then with clutch pedal down. When check engine light stayed on I saw codes P1300 and P0300. Changed spark plugs but no change.

I’ve ordered a new CPS. What else would you recommend looking into? DI cassette? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
Flashing light / P1300 is "catalyst damaging misfire". With the P300... The Eight-Ball says "All signs point to DIC".

If you didn't use NGK plugs, get some: BCPR6ES or PFR6H10. Gap 0.9mm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DIC was the first component I replaced when I purchased my 2002 9-3 vert. At that time, Rockauto was shipping the OEM version of the DIC in 2014-2015. Cost was about $160.00 at that time - no troubles or issues with misfire or MIL codes since then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I’ll start tracking down a new DIC and will keep you posted how this goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2002 SAAB 9-3 2.0L L4 Turbocharged
AIRTEX / WELLS​
5C1762Ignition Coil
$ 148.99​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 148.99​
Shipping​
Ground
$ 10.38​
Order Total
$ 159.37
This is my old order - I don’t see this OEM version at Rockauto now (Dec 2019)​
[TD]Part Number[/TD]
[TD]Part Type[/TD]
[TD]Price EA[/TD]
[TD]Core EA[/TD]
[TD]Quantity[/TD]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD][/TD]​

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s good to know - saw that one is available. I’m just out of date because the OEM I used has been reliable for the past 50k. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about United Motors Product cassette in Rockauto? Says it’s OEM replacement. I think I’ll go with a used OEM cassette first to make sure that’s the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Knockoffs will often use “OEM” words somewhere in title or description, typically like “OEM Replacement”. This doesn’t make them the OEM facility authorized by Saab.

If you get a used OEM version from a used parts yard and it works, I would just run that one as long as it lasts. You can always stick your current failing one in the trunk as an emergency spare to limp home. DIC replacement is one of the easiest side-of-The-road replacements.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Found a used DIC and was planning on putting the old one in the trunk as spare haha! Also got a set of NGK BCPR6ES coming my way. I just replaced the spark plugs earlier but they were Champion not NGK, so figured I better change them again.

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
but they were Champion not NGK, so figured I better change them again.
Finn: Never, ever use anything but NGK plugs. They do more than spark in these cars... the ECU uses charges sent through them to monitor the engine (The ionic part of "Trionic".).

if not actively harmful.
Amen. +1

Says it’s OEM replacement.
OEM used to actually mean something. Not any more. The Saabsite uses "OES" (OE Supplier) to indicate what OEM used to mean. Unfortunately since Saab started to supply a second string line of parts through Orio as originals have run out, even that doesn't always mean what you think it does. (Strut mounts, as an example).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New to me OEM DIC and new NGK BCPR6ES spark plugs installed, but the same issue exists. This time check engine light stayed on (after blinking a while under acceleration) and had P1300 code on. No other codes. I noticed boost was going up on low revs. Accelerating on 2nd boost was going to red on just 3K rpm and I was not flooring it or anything.

Any ideas what to do next? Could it be CPS or maybe a fuel issue?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Probably not a CPS issue, but could be.

High boost at low throttle openings sounds like a timing issue, but in generally it's typically a byproduct of too much fuel for the amount of air and ignition advance. That would also net you a misfire code.

So, I'd be looking for a mixture problem - and lacking any other codes, that usually a MAF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So that hose had blown off and wastegate arm felt stuck. Got that moving first, put the hose back on and she runs great now with no overboost or misfire issues whatsoever!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts