SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a headlight problem with a recent purchase. The headlight switch in my 2001 doesn't "stick" in the high beam location. I can pull it forward to the first setting which is the flash location and the high beam's come on. I can pull it to the second setting and the high beams also come on. However, the switch doesn't "stay" on the high beam setting and I have to hold it there.

Is this a common problem? I'm assuming I need a new switch. I'm an experienced classic car mechanic, and will go ahead and order a set of shop manuals for the car. Is this a DIY replacement job?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
As an experienced classic car mechanic, you will find the Saab easy/hard to work on.

Easy, as the build time(assembly) must be as low as humanly possible.
Hard, as you end up with little to no room for your hands and tools. Some disassembly is necessary at times to access things..
The switches are,IMO, easy to access and repair/renew..In fact , the whole car is DIY-able..

·
Registered
803 Posts
Your headlights have to be in the on position, otherwise the high beams won't stay on. Or are you saying that the beams stay on but the switch returns to where it was? Because that's normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. Apparently I need to take a few minutes and read the owners manual. Cliche was correct. I didn't realize that the head-light switch needed to be in the "on" position not the "auto" position in order for the high beams to stay on. They seem to be working fine.

My normal daily driver is a '75 BMW 2002, so all these power options / features are a new luxury for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts