SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2001 93 low pressure turbo and I’ve noticed blue smoke on start up - it only has 80,000 miles and a full service history. The smoke literally blows out on start up and is gone immediately but wondered if this was the beginning of a turbo failure ? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
This is the B205E, right?

Oil smoke on cold start is most often worn valve guides. When the engine is off and things cool down, oil seeps down into the combustion chamber and sits there until the vehicle is started. Once the engine heats up, tolerances are smaller and oil stays where it should.

Premature valve guide wear often coincides with infrequent oil changes, which as we know is often the case on cars not driven often. Older, low-mileage cars typically come with unique problems.

Oil smoke on hot start is usually worn valve guide seals. When oil is thin and hot, it makes its way past weak seals and into the combustion chamber. Worn valve stem seals are typically a byproduct of use... they get old and fail.

There can be other causes, like turbo seals or bottom end issues. You can check the intake and exhaust plumbing for signs of rogue oil.

I would have a friend follow you around and see if oil smoke is a problem at other times - like under boost, under high vacuum, during repeated/rapid throttle transitions, etc. Get the car good and hot, shut it down, wait 2-3 minutes and start it up again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - great bought this as it was relatively low mileage compare to others and had a full Saab service history - car is spotless - test drove great, didn’t expect any issues on this one - doh!

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
Every other car in the world... valve issues. Saab turbo: Turbo seals. Not uncommon where as valve stem issues are.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips and advice guys ! There was a suggestion that the PCV valve could be a cause - the car has the latest PCV upgrade but could someone advise how I get to the PCV valve/s to check for condition ? Thanks

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
They are literally right on top - a couple of one way valves between the oil filler and the turbo delivery pipe, and a small white one between the valve cover breather nipple and the throttle body.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
They're all check valves, so make sure they only pass air in one direction.... and that they're installed facing the right way! Air should flow only from the source (engine) to destionation (intake plumbing).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi I have a 2001 93 low pressure turbo and I’ve noticed blue smoke on start up - it only has 80,000 miles and a full service history. The smoke literally blows out on start up and is gone immediately but wondered if this was the beginning of a turbo failure ? Thanks in advance
I’d guess turbo seals. My 2000 9-3 has the same turbo and started blowing smoke on startup around 90k, despite regular, frequent oil changes, PVC update, etc. I’ve read that the Garrett turbo on the LPT models is prone to this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts