SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i may be picking up an 01 9-3 non se and a 2001 9-5 aero this week. the 9-3 has suspension issues while the 9-5 has engine issues, and also my current 9-3 needs a new head (lifter is clacking its brains out).

so my idea was to rebuild the engine in the 9-3 aero (2.3L turbo TD04 etc) and drop it in the new to me 9-3 along with the brakes, and the BBS RKIIs that are on the 9-5, then putting the engine from the new to me 9-3 into my current loud 9-3 and putting the loud engine and the suspension from the new to me 9-3 back into the aero and selling it as is, but driving, just not aero anymore with a lot of 9-3 parts haha.

what do you think?

id keep the 9-5 the way it is, but its an auto, and ive heard the auto to manual swap on a 9-5 is more than anyone want to take on, plus, i love the 9-3s.

or i may just part out the 9-5 once i steal the engine and brakes and wheels and whatnot, the stuff i can put in the 9-3. once the 2.3L is in the 9-3 ill get a 3" DP, FMIC and a few others that will get me ready for a JZW stage 3+ tune.

sounds like a lot of work, but it will net me cool ride

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If a lifter is making noise, you don't need a new head unless it's warped really bad or has a crack. You just replace the lifters;ol;

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the engine has been run at 5psi oil pressure for several years before i got it and fixed the pressure relief valve, and has had lifter issues since ive owned it, and its also burning a quart of oil every month or so. . . . that engine is on its last leg and would like to get rid of it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
the engine has been run at 5psi oil pressure for several years before i got it and fixed the pressure relief valve, and has had lifter issues since ive owned it, and its also burning a quart of oil every month or so. . . . that engine is on its last leg and would like to get rid of it.

Do it Callen!

JT:evil:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i got the car, drove it home 80 miles with no issues, started it up this morning with a check engine light and 3 codes, all three point to the DIC. i just replaces the DIC in my other 9-3 so im going to swap them out and see if my CEL goes away on this car, and comes on on that car.

either way, im stocked, i picked up a running, driving, turbo car with leather and A/C for $500 hah.

the front drivers window needs new regualtor rollers, but still works with some finess, the drivers rear window needs a motor or something, its just clicks when you press up, and does nothing when you press down, and the pass rear window needs new regulator clips, GS sells a billet one, not sure if i need a $60 billet clip, but well see how tough it is just to find another one period. other issues inside are, stereo sucks. . . really bad, and the seam stitching on the drivers seat is broken. im going to take both front seats in for repairs, other than that, its really really dirty and needs a full detail. also i need a new SID, its smoked.

as for mechanicals, it needs a new driver strut, 2 new front tires, and an alignment. the idea though is to rebuild the whole suspension with poly bushings everywhere, 9-5 aero brakes front and rear, and some new Koni struts and shocks and drop springs all the way around.

after thats all done ill have it aligned.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, here she is. i picked up some 18x8.5 wheels with tires today. i also threw in my good DIC and reset my codes and nothing came back up for the rest of the day, so ill be smogging it with my good DIC and getting another on in the next few weeks.

anyway, im torn on whether to get Koni or Bilstein struts and shocks, im sold on the eibach springs, but just really torn on the shocks, i can get koni on ebay for about $650 to my door, or i can get bilsteins from eeuro for close to the same. any thoughts?

heres the pics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Very nice.

I have the Koni's with Eibachs. Absolutely love them. Huge differnence in adding the Koni's, but adding the Eibach took it up a serious notch into almost needing a g-suit around tight corners.

Bilsteins have better rebound control than Koni's. Koni's are adjustable. I like the adjustability as it let's me tune for other mods that I do, play with pressures and stiffness, etc. Some prefer the 'steins... but you have to pick your stiffness up front then you're locked in.

Put poly on the rack or get a rack brace. Get the upgraded rear bar from GS.

You can save a couple bucks ordering form importrp.com, $624, no shipping. Their web site sucks, but their service is excellent, so calling is usually a better choice:

http://performance.importrp.com/koni/koni_shock_sport_series/80411191sport/i-101072.aspx

http://performance.importrp.com/koni/koni_shock_sport_series/86411389sport/i-105418.aspx

Double check the #'s before ordering.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Not sure what you mean... there are parts for the front and part for the rear, two in each location. They are different parts since the front is a strut cartridge and the rear is a "shock absorber".

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
going to pick up the 9-5 aero tomorrow. should be able to get this rolling pretty soon.

im looking for 400hp, is that reasonable with a 2.3L, FMIC, ECU, and " turbo back? ive been down this road with a T5 car, but im not sure what needs to be done to make a T7 car handle this.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
You might want to measure, but AFAIR, the Base was 22mm, the SE was 25mm, the Viggen was something else, smaller than the SE.

You should probably measure... but if you want upgraded handling, find an SE bar in the junkyard. Downside is that you have to pull the subframe to get to it... PITA in most yards since the drop the cars in the dirt.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i need to get a set of nice digital calipers.

anyway, i started pulling the brakes off the 9-5 aero, turns out someone put 288mm rotors on the front, so im pissed, now i have to get a set of 308 rotors.

its odd, the caliper between the aero and the 9-3 are the same, but the slider bracket is about 1/2" farther out on the aero bracket. whoever put the wrong rotors on didnt know, the pads had a big lip from where the pad wore into the wrong size rotor.

also, i put some 235/40/17s on the BBS RK II wheels and slapped them on. its driving well enough now, but i need to get some new struts and shocks in this thing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update

ordered up a full poly suspension from GS, also ordered a few bushings from powerflex, picked up some almost new Viggen struts and shocks, found out my wheels are 5x112 so i grabbed some eGay spacer/adapters 25mm, the car looks ****ing sick with them. . . . hella flush haha. 18x8.5 wheels with 25mm spacers is *****en, should be able to fit a 245 tire no problem.

also grabbed some new rotors 308mm front, 286?mm rear and some ebc yellows. going to have a local brake shop build some braided lines for the front and some long braided rears for the floating calipers.

other than that i finally got all my parts in to put my 2.3L back together from the aero, but ive decided im going to do a full build on it. getting pistons, balance chain delete, new bearings, full balance, etc, full rebuild. going to sent off my TD04 too for a 19T upgrade with the 6cm housing. hoping for 400whp, but i know thats on the edge. and dont worry ill get getting all the supporting stuff. fuel pump, injectors, MAP, FPR, intercooler, 3" turbo back.

right now im going to focus on handling. next up is a steering brace and rear ARB. my current 2.0 runs amazing, so im in no hurry on the 2.3L

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Might be a little late if you already ordered from Powerflex, but I went with the large end rack bushing instead of the (overpriced) brace. Huge difference. I can't see any engineering advantage to that brace to the fender in a LHD car. You can pump the money into something else

1 - 20 of 46 Posts