SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the aboves Limp home mode limited to 3000rpm ?

A while ago my car after an hour on the road, bliped the engine light. The Cruise Control went off, but I completed the rest of the journey OK.
The return journey was nearly the same. An hour in, and on came the light, CC off. the light stayed on. I noticed a loss of power, but I was able to maintain speed.

Following day, it was fine.

The next long journey it did it again, and again the light stayed on. It stayed on for the next two days, then as soon as it came on, it went off. The return journey and again the light came on and stayed on for a day.

A few weeks have passed and no sign, but this weekend I made another long journey and the light did the same. - both there and back. In between with a couple of short journeys the light will go out again and it is back to normal.

I don't know what is causing it, and when the engine has cooled I will get the RAC to have a quick look (I hope they can check the diags).
I guess it could be a Turbo problem, but what about the Cat ? Could that do it. Is the 3000 rpm a key issue ?

Anyone got any ideas why it only seems to do it on longer journeys (most journeys I do are 20 mins tops) - I guess something is heating up, but then why doesn't the problem go away as soon as the engine has cooled ?

Cheers

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A motor, possibly - heat, they do not like, better motors have built in protection..Even the gassers have a air injection motor; but I do not know if the Diesel does or not..

These new Diesels are too complex for me , and I'll bet VW( the king of Diesels) has similar problems.. I miss the old '85 Golf, but not its rotted body...
A factory repair manual is necessary...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Egr

In this case it was the Exhaust Gas Regulator
Had it cleaned, it then did it again, got a new one and it is as good as gold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts