SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

I am going to look at a 2000 viggen I found on saabnet over the weekend while on a road trip. Since I will have a buddy with me, I would like to purchase the car if all looks good since he (or I) can drive it home at the same time. Any advice on what to look for in a limited time? Details are 59k miles, 1 new rim, another straightened rim, and two straight rims with minor rash. new tires. new brakes all around. 60k service completed. asking price 13.9 a tiny bit above KBB private party good condition. Black 4 dr. Pictures look nice.

If there are any things I can check or should be aware of like records, oil condition, places to look for rust?, etc I could use any advice you guys might have. Former SPG and 900s owner but not real familiar with newer saabs. OK not familiar at all but drove an 01 viggen and oh man mid life crisis here I come. Significant differences between 00 and 01?

BTW, can the rear spolier be removed without leaving big holes?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
viggen 00-02 is the same thing. why do you want to remove the rear spoiler? clutch and tranny, oil sludge, and bent wheels are biggest concerns. give it a test drive, good price, but for the same of having a viggen, the rear spoiler stays, if not, there will be a happy non viggen owner somewhere.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
$13,9K is a tad high, but if the car has been babied, it might be worth it. Rust usually isn't a problem unless there has been some repaired body damage. I'd run a Carfax to see if this car was in an accident and to check the driving pattern. (Although the miles are reassuringly low)

I'd ask if the car has ever been modded, or if the engine and its management system have stayed stock.

The Viggen has torque steer best described as challenging, or as they say in Boston: "It's a pissah cah, but the wheel jumps wicked haahd in your hands." With any luck the PO installed a steering rack clamp and brace. Look on the engine side of the firewall directly in front of the passenger.

With the engine on, check for any odd chattering on acceleration. Make sure there's no blue smoke coming from the tail pipe. If the exhaust sounds loud, get a thick rag and plug up the tailpipe briefly. The engine should buck or almost stall...if not, then you've got an exhaust leak.

Outside of making sure the engine hasn't been abused, there's not too much to worry about.

The spoiler can be removed as a complete unit from under the hatch. I can find a good home for it in Boston, so let me know if you want to get rid of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
removing the spolier..

Well if I take it off I would probably keep it for re-sale. But what I am wondering is: what kind of marks/holes does it leave. I know it is borderline heresey to remove it but I am trying to make it not so apparent i am having a midlife crisis, grey as I am around the edges.

Thanks for the other helpful advice..I sent my deposit so it is looking pretty serious.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Im sure that it would not be hard to have the wholes filled in a repainted. I will hopefully be painting my black stock spoiler to the body color soon. If you are looking for someone to buy the stock spoiler I might be VERY interested as I am doing a bunch of painting soon so it wont be very costly to have it painted red, that and I really want it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Get the clutch warm and make sure you don't get squealing going into 1st or reverse. Bad throwout bearing is common on Viggen clutch and expensive to replace out of warranty. It is just an annoying noise though, not harmful to operation of vehicle.

Also see what kind of service documentation comes with the car. Saab just extended engine warranty on these cars to 8 years, 100,000 miles. But you need proof of all required maintenance.

Keep the spoiler. You'd be suprised how few people really know what the Viggen is. Most can't really differentiate it from a standard 9-3 unless you point it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts