SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I buy a 2000 Vert base last month off a guy who bought it from an auction, thers no history on the car other than some things left in the trunk, Anti-Freeze (Its white) Vert Top Oil, and a half quart of Mobil 1. Car runs amazing with the exception of morning starts with some blue smoke and turbo whining (assuming the turbo is going to need replacing) I buy the car for a really really good price (less than 50% of the blue book) and at the time I figure It needs a turbo and a little love. I spend a few weeks getting used to the car and its terrible handleing all the while reading post upon post of how to make this budget driver a sleeper.....

Fast forward till now: I have searched my face off and im good on suspension and stuff, what im confused about is reguarding going Stage 1, 2 etc.... what is "Suposed" to come with my car and what do I need? Keep in mind this was an auction buy, im fairley certain its not the original motor (broken exhaust bolt in the fron and misc scratches around the motor lead me to think this motor was replaced, but I have not even looked at the valve cover yet.......I seroiusly doubt this car was ever modded at all.

I read from 99-00 they changed what was equiped from base model vs se model, then I read posts about models that stayed in europe and they are different then here and well then I get all confused then it gets into t5 vs t7 and this year that year......and so on.

I guess heres are my current my question's... I have a 2000 base vert... assuming I have the 185hp model.......

Lets assume I need a new turbo cause im 99% certin mine is going going goin.....but not quit gone yet lol........should I just get the TD-04 or go with factory matched size?

Base to SE - Do I need to get a diff IC and blow off / waste gate etc. components or for 00 is it just a ecu reprogram to match the se? If I need more than the ECU what exactly do I need?

Stage 1 - Do I need to get a diff IC and blow off / waste gate etc. components or is it just a ecu reprogram? If I need more than the ECU what exactly do I need?

Stage 2/3 - New bigger IC with larger pipes, 2.5 cat back and 3" downpipe and an ECU upgrade, is there anything else I need motor wise?

How do I tell what version of PCV do I have?

What are the must do mods, I can search and read once pointed to the right search term.

Thanks in advance guys....im sure there will be more questions....

·
Registered
19,042 Posts
You have a 2000 so (in the USA) it's a a T7, 185HP unless the 8th character of the VIN is a "P" or a "K".

If I needed a turbo in that car, I'd look for a TD04-15 that comes stock on the HOT versions. Some guys here would tell you to get a more aggressive turbo. You may need to redo some lines to change from the T17 you have to the TD04. The nice part is that you can probably find then in a junkyard since the TD04 was stock in the T7, but a lot of guys just modify things.

You have a the HOT's cross flow intercooler, so that's fine for stage 1 or 2. You might want to upgrade for stage 3 - some tuners will tell you you need to. Look for bogan's thread on a custom IC install.

You need an ECU reprogram or tune. You could check out what these guys tell you for a T7 upgrade:

rabbit - http://www.brewcityboost.com/
JZW - http://jzwtuning.com/

You could also try GenuineSaab.com... but I don't recall if they do the T7 by mail or if it's on-site only.
I'll suggest you need a 2.5" cat-back, and so will the tuners, but some disagree. You don't need a downpipe until you want to get to stage-3 or higher.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You might consider just getting the car to run better and then wait to see if you have expensive problems with the top: top/seals, hydraulic hoses/cylinders and pump. Those problems can cost you much more than the car is worth if you can't DIY... Ron

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You have a 2000 so (in the USA) it's a a T7, 185HP unless the 8th character of the VIN is a "P" or a "K".

If I needed a turbo in that car, I'd look for a TD04-15 that comes stock on the HOT versions. Some guys here would tell you to get a more aggressive turbo. You may need to redo some lines to change from the T17 you have to the TD04. The nice part is that you can probably find then in a junkyard since the TD04 was stock in the T7, but a lot of guys just modify things.

You have a the HOT's cross flow intercooler, so that's fine for stage 1 or 2. You might want to upgrade for stage 3 - some tuners will tell you you need to. Look for bogan's thread on a custom IC install.

You need an ECU reprogram or tune. You could check out what these guys tell you for a T7 upgrade:
rabbit - http://www.brewcityboost.com/
JZW - http://jzwtuning.com/

You could also try GenuineSaab.com... but I don't recall if they do the T7 by mail or if it's on-site only.
I'll suggest you need a 2.5" cat-back, and so will the tuners, but some disagree. You don't need a downpipe until you want to get to stage-3 or higher.
Bob gives some pretty darn good advice/answers.

I might do a $50 GT17 turbo rebuild kit just to see what the car was really like. Along with a tune using T7 Suite, you'd be squared away up to about 225/235 HP without changing anything else.

Without a turbo that's spitting oil and a modest tune, you might be pretty happy with it as is. If not, I'd say start with the suspension and save up for the engine. Getting the most out of a T7 engine can get expensive pretty quick.

Other than that, please, please, please -- check out one (or more) of the T7 sludge/PCV upgrade threads and ensure you've got some basic protection for the engine. Even if PCV #6 is installed, still, drop the oil sump and visually check the bottom of the pan and the screen at the oil pick up.

·
Registered
19,042 Posts
I'd go with win_k's ideas... I always prefer simple and easy, and the rebuild of the T17, or finding one used, would be a good way to get the car going and see how you like it.

These cars aren't bad at 185HP, and up at 200 or more they move right along... depends on whether you're looking to burn up the streets or have a DD that makes you smile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas.....I will keep researching based on your opinions.....

I want to use this as my DD but I would like to get into the 250-275hp range.......Im the first in my crew of friends to pick up an import..we all also have big gas eating 8cyl muscle cars....

I just want to shut some of my friends up and since I need to replace a turbo I thought why no go for a little more ummmmmppppfffff. Im trying to secretely do this work without my buddys knowing haha....then stomp on em. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts