SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Saab 95.My son took it for a test drive and pushed the night panel button which made the engine die.I have not been able to restart since.I had just scanned the codes the day before and it read a P0410 and a P1300 now it says It has no codes.I think it may have shorted out the computer or reset it.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
263 Posts
you could always just disconnect the battery for 10 mins...i dont think pushing the night panel button would affect the car really...all that does is turn off the unneccessary gauges so you can drive safer at night...someone with more knowledge will surely chime in soon...

·
Registered
199 Posts
A p1300 code is a random misfire

The P0410 is Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction which is a v6 specific code.

Quick check for it - detach the rubber hose from the SAI pump, check both inlet and outlet hoses for whether they are still holding together and then check the pump filter to make sure its not blocked/broken/stuffed.

Apparently you'll find the pump on the drivers side just behind the headlamp

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the engine crank over or do you just get a ticking sound? This happened to me less than a week after buying my 2000 9-5. My alarm siren had dead batteries in it which causes the system to malfunction. After pulling the alarms fuse (located under the hood) the car starts normally. This fuse also protects the a/c compressor so you won't want to leave it out. If that indeed solves the "no start" problem, you'll find info on replacing the siren batteries on other threads here. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mystery solved.
Unfortunatley it's bad news.
Timing belt broke and the v6 is a non-clearance motor meaning if you break a belt the pistons will hit any valves that are open.A word to the wise,CHANGE TIMING BELT EVERY 60,000 MILES.I bought the car not knowing it's maintenance history.I just assumed it had the proper maintenance.
That makes it part my fault.If you don't change yours you can take full blame.

Again,you can't wait until they break to change them.A broken belt will damage your engine and cost you thousands to repair.I hope this is a wake up call for some.
Happy Motoring

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Bad news indeed...

Is the car worth fixing at this point?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
turbojim said:
My son took it for a test drive and pushed the night panel button which made the engine die.
Me thinks perhaps he hammered it a bit before he pressed this button :nono;

turbojim said:
Mystery solved.
Unfortunatley it's bad news.
Timing belt broke
That sucks :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts