SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today as I was just pulling into my parking spot at work my car suddenly died. I decided to try and start back up and it started just fine, but after only a second or two it died. I tried this again a couple times all with the same result. I then started it and promptly pumped the gas pedal. It kept the car running, but at a very low/rough idle. Any ideas as to what it could be? I know it's not the fuel pump, fuel filter, or CPS as those have all been replaced within the last few months. The fuel pump just a couple weeks ago. Could it be spark plugs? I also know it's not a vacuum issue, as I had those resolved recently as well. Unless a hose came lose since then I guess. Any help would be great!

Oh, and I should mention that the CEL came on just as it died. Currently no way to get it to a place to scan for the code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Today as I was just pulling into my parking spot at work my car suddenly died. I decided to try and start back up and it started just fine, but after only a second or two it died. I tried this again a couple times all with the same result. I then started it and promptly pumped the gas pedal. It kept the car running, but at a very low/rough idle. Any ideas as to what it could be? I know it's not the fuel pump, fuel filter, or CPS as those have all been replaced within the last few months. The fuel pump just a couple weeks ago. Could it be spark plugs? I also know it's not a vacuum issue, as I had those resolved recently as well. Unless a hose came lose since then I guess. Any help would be great!

Oh, and I should mention that the CEL came on just as it died. Currently no way to get it to a place to scan for the code.
Are you eally sure that the fuel system (gas inside the car) and the vacuum system is completely perfect after the repairs?

TBH, I always have my wireless bluetooth ODB2 connector with me, its always plugged into my SAAB. As so you could look at the various parameters, and the error codes as well. They run around 5-6 pounds on eBay. ($10 USD?)

It could also be the plugs - yes. Anything special was done to the car before it was parked there? (In any case, either mixture (not getting gas/air) or ignition).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you eally sure that the fuel system (gas inside the car) and the vacuum system is completely perfect after the repairs?

TBH, I always have my wireless bluetooth ODB2 connector with me, its always plugged into my SAAB. As so you could look at the various parameters, and the error codes as well. They run around 5-6 pounds on eBay. ($10 USD?)

It could also be the plugs - yes. Anything special was done to the car before it was parked there? (In any case, either mixture (not getting gas/air) or ignition).
I am quite sure. Everything ran just perfectly until I pulled into the spot. No CEL or anything. Accelerated great, MPG was back to normal. On my lunch break I am going to pull the plugs and see if they look bad. Anything else you would suggest checking while I am at it? I did a quick look under the hood and didn't see any disconnected hoses or anything. I might have to have a co worker take me to go pick up am ODB2. I wish I could rent one...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just picked up a scanner and got two codes

p1231
p1230

What could this mean? Does it make it a ThrottleBody issue?
Could be so.

To be honest, if it were mine:
1) I would reset the error codes, while it's off.
2) Is the throttle body in home limp mode? Try resetting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-LI1AtdcA

Check if it helped at all.

I also like to check inside the throttle body, the flap as well, with the delivery pipe off, mine is able to run on idle, but I am not sure if its safe in any way.

Apart from that, I am sure that the guys around here will have brighter ideas than me ;).

P.S.
I just buy these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Blueto...pt=US_Radio_Comm_Scanners&hash=item4187f68a6f
and use Torque on my Android phone.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Codes are for sure TB related. Try cleaning the TB first and also spray clean the main electrical connector on the firewall and check for any lose pins in the connector

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be so.

To be honest, if it were mine:
1) I would reset the error codes, while it's off.
2) Is the throttle body in home limp mode? Try resetting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-LI1AtdcA

Check if it helped at all.

I also like to check inside the throttle body, the flap as well, with the delivery pipe off, mine is able to run on idle, but I am not sure if its safe in any way.

Apart from that, I am sure that the guys around here will have brighter ideas than me ;).

P.S.
I just buy these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Blueto...pt=US_Radio_Comm_Scanners&hash=item4187f68a6f
and use Torque on my Android phone.
Codes are for sure TB related. Try cleaning the TB first and also spray clean the main electrical connector on the firewall and check for any lose pins in the connector
After work yesterday I went and cleared the codes and did find that it was in limp mode, so I reset that as well and the car started right up, no issues. I have cleaned the throttle body a couple times over the last couple months, but I have not checked for any lose pins or anything. I did find a guy selling parts from a 99 9-5 locally, and I bought his throttle body for $20. If I have problems again, I will try switching them out. Is there anything I need to do if I swap? Such as get it reprogrammed or something?

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.