SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a seal that needs to be replaced to prevent it from filling with oil? after i had taken 3 phillips screws off there was about ounce or two of oil in it, is it supposed to use oil to lubricate rotor vanes, or is a seal bad. if so which one?

Thanks

Nele

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
There're 2 seals on the back end 9176470 and 4685798;

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so the pump should be totally dry? Where can I get seals? Would anyone have a diagram or brake down of the pump?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So why is there inlet on the pump for oil? The bolt far back in the head had oil seep out of the tapped hole in the head. Is there any need for oil in the pump at all for lubrication purposes?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
So why is there inlet on the pump for oil? The bolt far back in the head had oil seep out of the tapped hole in the head. Is there any need for oil in the pump at all for lubrication purposes?
Yes there is a need for lubrication for the pump. The bolt that is seeping oil is the feed for the pump.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have an idea how the pump is sealed, theres 3 seals.

One small green seal which is the feed or return, it uses the banjo type bolt with holes in it small feed/return hole on the head.

Second seal is the seal between the pump and the head, where the cam drives the pump.

Third seal is the one on the chamber cover of the pump, none of these seem to have anything to do with preventing from oil going to the booster, im thinking that theres a one way check valve right where the vacuum hose inserts into the pump, any ideas. I would like to fix it before i replace another booster.

Thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? The front brakes are locking up on my 9-5 Aero.

oh well you have bigger problems. You need to buy a booster now cause yours is full of oil.

if you are lucky it is just the check valve on the line that has failed, but if not, you need new seals, maybe new pump as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you think it's the booster huh? Maybe I'll start with the cheap option and replace the vacuum lines with the check valves. Someone put a epoxy all over 1 of the check valves. I think I'd feel better if I just replace the whole setup. What about the vacuum pump? Did you go through all of this also?

·
Registered
943 Posts
well yes it is the booster that is locking up your brakes cause the oil backing up behind the diaphram is pushing the master cylinder piston. But the booster got this way because something on the vac pump failed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so I guess I'll remove the booster an empty it out. Do you know if it can be cleaned out with anything like brake cleaner or anything after I empty it out or is that necessary?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I just talked to a guy on the phone who said he went through all of this and said he replaced the master cylinder as well as the booster, and that didn'vacuummake a difference. He said when he replaced the vacuum pump, the problem was taken care of. Hopefully that's what it is. If not, ill do the booster.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well I just talked to a guy on the phone who said he went through all of this and said he replaced the master cylinder as well as the booster, and that didn'vacuummake a difference. He said when he replaced the vacuum pump, the problem was taken care of. Hopefully that's what it is. If not, ill do the booster.

well of course, because the pump just keeps throwing oil into the booster and ruining it, so you get to replace it again. you would think he would have seen some oil come out of the vac tube when he replaced it the first time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts