SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an having idle issues with my Saab 9-5. I replaced the MAF today and it hasn't changed anything. So now I am wanting to try the MAP. However, I am not sure I know where that is located. I am being lead to believe that it is what's shown on the attached file. However, when I look up the part it looks completely different. Any help would be much appreciated it. THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

This part number (90490743) from the below site should be it correct?
http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/Saab-95-engine-parts-external.html#ENGINE_SENSORS

If so, where is the heck is it!?

I really need this fixed ASAP, so any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
No that is not the MAP, in your picture.

The MAP is located at the right (passenger) hand side of the inlet manifold. Near the right hand, rear corner of the manifold.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wait a minute, you have an Aero i just noticed. Maybe that is the MAP connector on an Aero? On my Linear (also 4-cyl), it does not have the connector with that red sliding lock on it. In a Linear it looks like in the attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes, it is visible from the top. The inlet manifold is that big chunk of metal that is attached to the back of the engine (the Throttle Body sit on top of the manifold). If you're standing in front of the engine outside the car, the inlet is near the firewall in the back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait a minute, you have an Aero i just noticed. Maybe that is the MAP connector on an Aero? On my Linear (also 4-cyl), it does not have the connector with that red sliding lock on it. In a Linear it looks like in the attached pic.
Ok, that's gotta be it then, because mine has the smoothed out sides for mounting an MAP like that, but no threaded holes for bolts. Dang, so that will mean I will have to have it shipped, because no place local has that specific one.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When you're standing in front of car, locate the dipstick/oil filler neck....then look down to the left (toward passenger side) and you'll see the MAP (you may have to move some of the hoses that pass throught that area (again, this is on Linear...maybe differrent on an Aero,,, don't know)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ok, that's gotta be it then, because mine has the smoothed out sides for mounting an MAP like that, but no threaded holes for bolts. Dang, so that will mean I will have to have it shipped, because no place local has that specific one.
Yeah, would probably be hard to buy in Autozone or stores like that. Do you have any "pick and pull, you pull u pay' type yards around? Could pick a used one just to see if it really helps you problem? Exactly what is your problem? Irratic idling? Doe not have to be the sensor (could be, of course), but just as well be a vacuum leak. Try spraying some carb clearner around the intake / vacuum lines when the car is running. If you get an increase in rev when you spray, you have a vacuum problem.

Also confused when you say you have no "threaded holes for bolts". THe two holes in the sensor don't have threads....the threads are in the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, would probably be hard to buy in Autozone or stores like that. Do you have any "pick and pull, you pull u pay' type yards around? Could pick a used one just to see if it really helps you problem? Exactly what is your problem? Irratic idling? Doe not have to be the sensor (could be, of course), but just as well be a vacuum leak. Try spraying some carb clearner around the intake / vacuum lines when the car is running. If you get an increase in rev when you spray, you have a vacuum problem.

Also confused when you say you have no "threaded holes for bolts". THe two holes in the sensor don't have threads....the threads are in the inlet manifold.
There are a couple around, but none have any saabs sadly. I'll try the carb cleaner. By the holes I meant in the inlet manifold. There are no holes at all except the single one for the sensor to screw into. Also, I noticed looking around on the web that it some sites show that part number as a fit for a 9-3 and not a 9-5. That seems strange to me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Very strange. How is yours held in place then? Just pushed down in the hole? Does not make sense and i've never seen that before (and i've seen many at salvage yards ...all like mine...two little torx bolts).

If you have not already, try this site row52.com (shared by unclemiltie on here). I did not know about this site and found two more yards in my vicinity that did not know of.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Prior to '02 the MAP sensor screws into the manifold. Are there any codes is the check engine light on. How do you know it is the MAP? It can get pretty expensive with a Saab to throw parts at without knowing for sure what it is. Did you test the part? Is the MAF new Saab or aftermarket? My experience with aftermarket is that they are crap, a good used Saab MAF is better than aftermarket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prior to '02 the MAP sensor screws into the manifold. Are there any codes is the check engine light on. How do you know it is the MAP? It can get pretty expensive with a Saab to throw parts at without knowing for sure what it is. Did you test the part? Is the MAF new Saab or aftermarket? My experience with aftermarket is that they are crap, a good used Saab MAF is better than aftermarket.
I took it to a saab shop and they said it was the MAF and the MAP. The MAF is from eeuroparts, and I believe it's genuine saab. I went to a pick a part place and they had a car that took the same type, but didn't have the MAP sensor in it. argh It seems that goldwing will be the best place to get it. Shipping is sure expensive though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doubt it will be expensive as it is very small and they ship UPS ground.
I looked it up. It's $75 for the part and then $13 for basic shipping. Oh well. Gotta do what you gotta do. I just hope that the shop was right. Thanks everyone for your help!

I will post either way once I have replaced that part.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
The early cars had the sliding red lock connector on the manifold pressure sensor. The newer cars have the plug in with clip connector. I don't remember when the changeover happened.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I finally got the part last night. I put it in and no change. So obviously that shop lead me wrong. I have noticed something though. I only rough idle and poor acceleration when running that AC. I first realized that it only ran rough in the middle of the day when it was hot, so I thought it had something to do with the outside temp, but then it clicked that I am not running the AC in the morning when I go to work, but then at lunch and after work I turn it on. Any ideas as to what could be the cause of this?

·
Registered
476 Posts
So I finally got the part last night. I put it in and no change. So obviously that shop lead me wrong. I have noticed something though. I only rough idle and poor acceleration when running that AC. I first realized that it only ran rough in the middle of the day when it was hot, so I thought it had something to do with the outside temp, but then it clicked that I am not running the AC in the morning when I go to work, but then at lunch and after work I turn it on. Any ideas as to what could be the cause of this?
How poor is "poor acceleration"? When the AC is on it puts a big load on the belt. If you say you noticed some power loss that makes sense if you can hear the AC engage. Has it got worse over time or anything like that?

Also when it's hotter out and you're sitting in traffic or stop lights the intercooler won't be as efficient since the radiator begins radiate extreme heat which the cooler intercooler absorbs. Hot intercooler = less dense charge air = less power. Add that to your AC running and you have one slow car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.