SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a saab 9-3 base model (185bhp) and I understand it has 20 less horsepower then the SE model (205bhp), but the same engine. What is different between the 2? Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the se has a crossflow intercooler and I think it has a td04 mitsu turbo and the ecu is tuned differently!

·
Registered
92 Posts
the se has a better intercooler and a more aggressive ecu, the turbo is the same (garret t25) but the se is tuned for more boost(around 17 psi) base is around (12 ish).

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
the se has a better intercooler and a more aggressive ecu, the turbo is the same (garret t25) but the se is tuned for more boost(around 17 psi) base is around (12 ish).
Nope, SE has a TD04 and Viggen intercooler.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
you're thinking of the 99 9-3 se hot which had about the same boost but different intercooler, more aggressive ignition timing, and a higher fuel cut

2000se + had viggen intercooler, td04, ecu

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also does my Saab have TCS? I assume not? And I am getting new tires for my car this week so I was wondering what to do to do a brake stand in my Saab before getting rid of my tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the downpipe and cat back is a great place to start. did mine a couple week ends ago. nice improvement in power, and throtle response....sounds great too. next for me is to do some handleing improvements and the intercoller. after that probably a tune.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So, just to be clear...

Getting back to the OP's question: difference between the 2000 Base and the 2000 SE is the turbo, and ECU tune? Is that the consensus?

I swear the Haynes manual says the turbos are the same, but I don't have it in front of me to reference. The local wreckers just got a 2000 SE, and I want to know what parts I should take off of it :p

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Getting back to the OP's question: difference between the 2000 Base and the 2000 SE is the turbo, and ECU tune? Is that the consensus?

I swear the Haynes manual says the turbos are the same, but I don't have it in front of me to reference. The local wreckers just got a 2000 SE, and I want to know what parts I should take off of it :p
Anything that attaches directly to the turbo. Hoses, pipes, everything except the exhaust manifold and down pipe. If you plan on a DIY or a "send it out" tune, take the ECU as well.

The base T7 has a Garrett GT17, the SE uses a Mitsu TD04 15T. They're different enough it's easiest to grab the whole 9 yards and not having to worry about fitting the not quite right oil, air and coolant lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I put a TD04 from an '02 SE that I wrecked :cry: into a '00 93 with a bad turbo that I got for free. Also put in the intercooler from my SE so with that being said what kind of power figures could I expect without the more aggressive ecu?

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 2000 SE has the TD04 (mine does). The Cold Air intake (K&N etc..) is not necessary. Search the forums, some posted with and with out...no real difference. Exhaust and ECU tune will get you what you are looking for. Just make sure everything else is good like suspension, crankcase vent kit, etc... There is a sticky on what the stages are and what you need for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts