SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I attempted to remove the SID to make the typical pixel repairs, or swap it for a working SID2. However, the SID is quite stuck. I removed the radio.

It appears that the side latches [with the small grooving] will not recede no matter how hard the SID is yanked, pulled, cajoled or cursed at. Flat pry bars at the left/right didn't work either. That SID is latched in, and when I look at pictures of a SID, I can't see any reason for the latch to settle in as one pulls, except that the latching was supposed to be designed to be very slight.

To the left side, I can remove the TCS switch and adjacent blank, and with my finger press on the latch element and dislodge that side only. On the right, there is no way to reach it, as the cup holder and radio inset's metal cage all block access.

I considered drilling a small hole at the far right side of the face, to drill through a bit of the plastic on the side adjacent to the front panel, and end up at the front of the right latch. Then, insert a small rod into that hole, and pry the latch to allow the SID to slide out.

But there has to be a better way.....

Also: the TECH2 reports "System Name: SID2". Can I rely on that for ordering a ribbon cable, or should I wait till I remove the SID ?
The TECH2 screen also says: Part number 5263249SA; Hardware version Number: RU; Software Version Number: 11.2

Thanks !

·
Registered
489 Posts
You might want to run a slim blade around the SID to break it loose. The cup holder is not very stable and plenty of times you'll find sticky coffee/soda residue on the right side of the SID and radio bezels where drinks got spilled.

It normally doesn't take much to remove a SID so I suspect you got a sticky mess in the seem where bezel meets dash.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Agreed. Shouldn't be this tricky. I've used an ordinary cutlery knife a few times to remove the SID on my 9-3 and 9-5. One with a fairly rounded end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts