SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping to find the pump hose with a different fitting.

My pump hose was replaced a year ago and didn't think it was necessary to replace it again with the proparts kit.

Guess I'll try to find a hydraulic shop or buy the proparts hose at this point.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I finally have the entire ProParts pressure hose installed, and my advice to anyone who thinks of buying it is don't do it. They obviously modeled it after the original Saab parts, but the bends aren't quite right, and the alignment tabs they welded onto the connections to the rack and the pump aren't accurate.

I had to grind off the tab on the rack connection because it was welded on in the wrong place, and slightly bend the pipe so it would connect at the right angle. I also had to change the bend in the pipe around the oil pan so that it wouldn't hit it, and enlarge the opening in the u-shaped tab that secures the pump end to the pump. The last thing I had to do was to loosen the clamps on the cooling loop so I could manhandle that into place, and then had to get creative in how I mounted the far end to the subframe. It was not a fun job, and if I had known what I was in for, I would have paid $300 or so for the genuine Saab parts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hopefully you'll never need to change it again! I look at it as lesson learned and hopefully help someone tackling the same issue.

Propart products seem to be a hit or miss.The Edelman hose I used was a good fit. However, I did buy the intermediate hose and had a shop weld on the old connection to the fitting at the pump. I couldn't find a pump hose to match the new connections. Doubt it exists at this point.

To add to Jeremy's recommendation, I'd remove the hoses and have a shop repair the original parts. A 22mm ratching wrench for the banjo bolt would also be a good idea.

Best

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mine had rubbed a hole clear through the flexible rubber section that runs next to the radiator, up to the pump, so I don't think that a repair was possible on mine. That is one good thing I have to say about the ProParts hose. It's bent in such a way that it won't rub on the radiator. As long as the rear section of the pipe holds up as long as I have the car, I'll be happy. The front section would be far easier to replace again, but you're right, and hopefully I'll never need to change any part of it again! :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts