SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 9-5 4 cylinder. My son was driving when it when he said all of a sudden it died. The local repair shop said the motor seized it has 135000 miles on it. I got it home and hit the key and sounded like a bad battery replaced battery because old one had bad cells. Then hit key again same problem. Took spark plugs out and then hit key again twice same problem. Hit key third time then motor turned over with compression on all cylinders. I reinstalled all the plugs car started right up. But now there is a terrible knock under the valve cover. What could it be and is it worth fixing or just replacing the motor or rebuilding the motor my self. Thanks for the input in advance

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
hard to diagnose with that little bit of info.

which end of the block is loudest?
did you ever have an oil pressure light coming on at idle?
have you ever cleaned it out for sludge?
Do you use full synthetic oil? Do you have the history?
did you notice a kind of grinding noise before on the passenger side of the engine?

that'll help narrow it. You do know that these engines have a history of "sludge" problems where there is a build up of thick sludge in the oil pan that ultimately blocks the oil pump pickup and then starves the engine. Generally resulting in badly scored cylinders, pistons and other "bad" stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i didnt know that they did i'm new to owing a saab and found they ARE VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX. bUT NO DONT HAVE The HiSTORY OF THE CAR. nO THEY DIDNT USE Sythethic oil. Npt sure about the grinding noise my son isnt mechanically inclined. He only can put gas in it. Sound like the knocking is at top right. So trying to figure out pull the head and have it checked and then i can look at cylinder walls also. but if too high better to rebuild or sell for parts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
if Top right you mean drivers side then you sound like you may have been bitten by sludge. The piston that is farthest from the oil pump, and the one that seems to suffer the most is the one on the drivers side.

Pulling the head will certainly tell you what's happening. you also may want to pull the pan off the bottom to see what's up. There was someone in here a while back who was able to drop the pan and take off the head, take the piston out, hone the cylinder and put it back together with the engine still in the car. you can probably find that saga in here somewhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i meant passangers side. But im going to tear teh head down and also use the book to do so. But i believe you might be right as far as oil sludge so ill see soon and keep you posted thanks

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
passenger side could also be the timing and/or balance chains. (thus the question of the rattle before things went sideways) Generally, you can hear the timing chains.

But taking the head off will certainly let you know what's going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts