SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 cylinder automatic has started acting up, again. Today, trying to reverse out of a parking spot, the indicator in the dash showing the position of the shifter did move from P.

The CEL light came on and the (!) as well (they stayed on). I then put it in drive, the indicator on the dash still stayed at P.

There was no power. I stopped, turned off the ignition, turned it back on and put it in drive. This time the indicator moved to D and all is well, except the 2 lights above are still on. This is good because I can get the local dealer to read the codes.

Any one else experience this before or have any ideas what could be the problem?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I'd be thinking it's the gear position sensor - the piece that detects for the computer what gear the shift lever is in. You get a CEL and warning light because they don't match. Just guessing based on some past discussion here.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
That means transmission malfunction, get the code read Had to have a pressure valve ???? installed to correct that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Later at night, after the engine cooled down and I restarted the car, the CEL light and the (!) are no longer persisting. So, I doubt if the dealer can read anything or are the codes still there?.

I had no abnormal sounds while driving when the problem occurred.

Any pointers on where the gear position sensor is, roughley how much for the part and how much labor?

How much did the valve replacement cost for the transmission malfunction?

Thanks to all for their responses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The following seems to fit the description of my issue (found it on another forum). MacNoob seems on the right track. Anyone have pictures to show where the gps is located? Can I get away by just cleaning the connectors?

Currently my gear selector position sensor is giving me problems. A few times each month the car goes into limp mode and the two amber check engine lights come on. I get out of limp mode quickly by turning the car off, removing the key for a moment and then restarting the car. The CEL stays on, but the car will be out of limp mode. I can check the code when I get home and confirm the problem is still the same sensor. I then clear the code.

Yes, it would be easier to replace the faulty sensor, but the sensor is almost $300 and it really doesn’t seem to be hurting anything. Plus I know that the sensor is made up of a multi-position switch and the car is upset because the connectors inside are dirty.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hello, I've been lurking these boards for about a year. I have some additional information that might be useful.

I'm the author of the gear selector position sensor information naz95 posted and I've very flattered to be cited on this board. :D

naz95, you are having the exact same issue that I have.

I've seemed to have temporarily extended the life of the sensor by cleaning it up and by giving the moving parts a shot of WD-40. I then moved the gear lever from park all the way to 1st and back fairly rapidly a few times. I did this a few weeks ago and haven't had the OBD error show up yet.

The sensor is under the battery and on top of the transmission. It is kind of rectangular with a metal rod and a thick cord of wires attached to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks saabcog and everyone else. This is what I will try.

If it wasn't for this site and the help I got in the past (and the present), I would have traded my Saab a while ago.

·
Registered
230 Posts
saabcog said:
Hello, I've been lurking these boards for about a year. I have some additional information that might be useful.

I'm the author of the gear selector position sensor information naz95 posted and I've very flattered to be cited on this board. :D

naz95, you are having the exact same issue that I have.

I've seemed to have temporarily extended the life of the sensor by cleaning it up and by giving the moving parts a shot of WD-40. I then moved the gear lever from park all the way to 1st and back fairly rapidly a few times. I did this a few weeks ago and haven't had the OBD error show up yet.

The sensor is under the battery and on top of the transmission. It is kind of rectangular with a metal rod and a thick cord of wires attached to it.
I have also been dealing with this same issue with the sensor for over 3 years. I have elected to just deal with it because of the price of the part. Its really just a minor inconvenience because it only happens occasionally and only at startup for me with a warm engine. Turn the ignition off and on and all is well. The CEL will stay on for a couple engine cycles and go out. So the good news for me anyway is that the sensor has not become any worse over the years. I will try the wd40 and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's interesting that all three of us with the problem seem to have the same model year 9-5.

The sensor, found on eEuroparts, is listed as being for any 99-01 9-5 automatic. I wonder if SAAB caught on and decided to get rid of a problem part? I think I’ll research what the 2002- have in place of this sensor and if it is compatible with our cars? It could be a chance to upgrade to a more reliable sensor.

Like you said, it really isn’t that disruptive of a problem… and there are a lot more entertaining SAAB parts I could purchase for the $300 that this sensor costs.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Disregard my promise of researching for a newer sensor. The newer sensors are over $500... I didn't look into if they were in any way compatible with the 2000 9-5 after seeing the price. :cheesy:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 20009-5 with the 6 cylinder, and posted my similar issue earlier this date. My independant Saab dude described the very same thing - sensor you guys referance.

However mine completley lost its mind, and the cart wont start because it doesnt know its in park......ugh. 300.00 bucks.........no Alligator shoes this week.........:roll:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We all will end up facing the same issue - car will not start at all until we eventually replace the sensor! Something to think about!

sdelliott58 said:
I have a 20009-5 with the 6 cylinder, and posted my similar issue earlier this date. My independant Saab dude described the very same thing - sensor you guys referance.

However mine completley lost its mind, and the cart wont start because it doesnt know its in park......ugh. 300.00 bucks.........no Alligator shoes this week.........:roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
naz95 said:
We all will end up facing the same issue - car will not start at all until we eventually replace the sensor! Something to think about!
I guess that is what it will take for me to replace mine is when I experience my first no start situation. ;oops: All I currently need to do is to turn off the ignition and restart. Luckily mine has not worsened over the past 3 1/2 years!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts