SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd just do a quick update and share what my dad and I have been up to lately. Dad did the motor rebuild, I did the grunge work and helped out. Dads had a powersports shop for 20+ years and rebuilds motors constantly, all oil/lubricants were Redline Synthetics. Our favorite.

So back in August I was headed to Rutland VT and I'm blasting away in the interstate, sure enough the oil light came on and queued disaster. After a tow back home and a little check over I realized I had to rebuild this beut, 210k miles and in excellent condition.

So I've just ordered and received my parts,I'll post pictures of what I got below. While I was waiting for my parts I tinkered in little stuff, cleaning the head, manifolds etc.

Once we tore the motor down and inspected it we found the #1 & #4 Pistons scuffed, the journals on the crank were all good, and the oil had pushed out the main seal, maybe due to a PCV failure, I doubt it though. Oil pan was good, no sludge no shavings either.

Dec 5th, we put in the main bearings (glyco) in and replaced the oil pump assembly. The main caps were taken off and and we tapped each half of the bearing out then rolled in the new ones, assuring the grooves aligned and were lubed. Did this for all 5 journals in an hours time or so. We retourqed the caps and were done. The oil pump was straight forward, pull the wheel off, take the pulley off, replace the gears, and housing which came with a new seal. Then reassemble. We also put the new Pistons in the rods.

Automotive piston Auto part Furniture

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@txsaabstory I got the parts from eeuro, and pelican parts. I honestly wouldn't recommend the Victor Reinz kit. I prefer felpro.

@Jssaab If you know of another way of rebuilding the motor without having taking the head off, call me. Lol

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
@Jssaab If you know of another way of rebuilding the motor without having taking the head off, call me. Lol
I think what Jssaab is saying that you could have saved yourself a ton of grief if you had dropped the pan and cleaned out the pick up screen before the motor died from oil starvation.

Not sure where he says a engine can be rebuilt with the head on.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.