SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to need a turbo. A quote for a new one if one can be found is $3,200.
A rebuilt is around $1,200.
Motor has 120k on it (just did the 120k service $980).
Other than the slight blue smoke at startup sometimes car runs great even though it's the 6 cyl. I also have a 2001 4 cyl 9-5 and I was hoping to get 200k on each.

Am I OK using a rebuilt turbo??? Anyone have experiences with rebuilts for Saab 6 cyl. I used a new one for my 4.

Thx

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been doing a bit of shopping around, who quoted you $3200 for a new turbo?

You can get brand new ones for under $1000, and rebuilt for $400-$500.

Or you can purchase the rebuild kit and have your current one redone.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
$29 eBay rebuild kit for GT17 works great.for my lpt. I've got 5,000 miles of towing another 9-5 plus 450 lbs car dolly.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If it does not smoke when you drive, leave it alone. You'll go broke and/or insane trying to make an aged v6 NOT smoke on startup

·
Registered
164 Posts
Swede, I'm in the same boat as the OP.
9-5 SE wagon that smokes on start. 125k miles on mine though.

Are you saying not to worry about it? Saab specialized mechanic said the turbo should be rebuilt / replaced sooner rather than later, which I don't want to have to do obviously... Smoking on mine is pretty intermittent. It smoked the week after I got it, and then nothing for almost two weeks, and then this morning it smoked after being parked at work part of the day. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm just saying that the startup puff is VERY common on the v6, and not necessarily a turbo problem. I've seen folks change multiple turbos (on the same car) and still get the smoke on startup.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it does not smoke when you drive, leave it alone. You'll go broke and/or insane trying to make an aged v6 NOT smoke on startup
it does smoke intermittently on start up. I would not mind that it's when it starts smoking when I'm idling at a light. Not the kind of thing I can live with unless I'm driving a Turnip truck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been doing a bit of shopping around, who quoted you $3200 for a new turbo?

You can get brand new ones for under $1000, and rebuilt for $400-$500.

Or you can purchase the rebuild kit and have your current one redone.
It was from a local Saab shop. The few Saab dealers in my area have already closed. I figured it would be around $1,900 for a new one. At least that's what my local Saab repair guy had guessed. The $3200 quote came from another Saab shop who was trying to steer me into a used turbo he had from the sound of his new unit quote. He did quote $600 for a rebuilt with another 6 hours labor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts