SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks. Please help me out.

What path does the oil filler take? I’ve lost about a 1 1/2” section of the gasket seal thingy in there and am trying to understand where it might end up.

It was a horrible moment watching it spiral around the neck about 3 times and...gone before I could get a hand on it.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
The filler will go to the pan.

The risk is that the bit of gasket could get sucked up by the oil pump and block the filter screen on the pickup.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
It essentially goes straight down to the oil pan, which is why they're able to mount the dipstick in it. The tube goes into a hole in the back of the block, and that hole goes straight down into the pan. You can see the parts here:

If you take the pan off, you'll be able to get the gasket out, but it should sit at the bottom of the pan relatively safely. Something that size isn't likely to get kicked up into the crankshaft and rods. If you're really lucky, it might come out during an oil change.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Ed's right about blocking the filter if the piece is wide enough, but then it might be heavy enough to just fall down. How wide is the gasket?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen, thank you for the assistance.

I did see that diagram but wasn’t 100% positive. The object fell off a broken oil cap while removing the dipstick. Somehow this sizable chunk landed in there and just spiraled right in. I believe some of the missing part was already separated. About 1/4” wide but not straight as you can see.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Drop the piece you have left into the used oil and see if it floats or sinks. If it floats that's not good news, but I don't think the piece that fell in is catastrophically big. But that's just my opinion, it's your engine!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dropping the pan to check for/clean sludge is almost considered as a maintencae item on these engines so if it has never been done before may be worth doing anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right. Good points made by all, and, yes, I’ve been researching about dropping the oil pan.

On that score, I have been looking at videos but cannot make out one detail well: Does the pump suck oil up (with the filter pointed down) and the lowest point of the pan serving as a sump? If so, is there any space between that intake filter and the floor of the pan? I suppose the junk sticks against gravity and my missing piece might settle out as previously suggested?

I can’t thank you guys enough for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts