SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get some feedback on this strange electrical activity. A week ago it was very hot out and I was in stop and go traffic. The AC was on, and when I hit the Turn Signal, the signal and AC went out. After the car was parked and cooled down, everything worked fine. I drove in a rain storm on the highway and experienced no problems. The next day it was again very hot out. My SID alerted me to a Rear Light Failure. Then the AC went out. The blinkers went out. The wipers went out. The windows would not roll up... Once on the highway, everything kicked back in and started working again. The car then sat for a week, I started it and everything was working. Then I hit the turn signal when the AC was on and everything failed again. Any experience or quick check ideas? I read some comments about the Ignition relay, Battery and grounds. I also read a comment about spraying the ignition key hole with contact cleaner...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
crome68 said:
I am hoping to get some feedback on this strange electrical activity. A week ago it was very hot out and I was in stop and go traffic. The AC was on, and when I hit the Turn Signal, the signal and AC went out. After the car was parked and cooled down, everything worked fine. I drove in a rain storm on the highway and experienced no problems. The next day it was again very hot out. My SID alerted me to a Rear Light Failure. Then the AC went out. The blinkers went out. The wipers went out. The windows would not roll up... Once on the highway, everything kicked back in and started working again. The car then sat for a week, I started it and everything was working. Then I hit the turn signal when the AC was on and everything failed again. Any experience or quick check ideas? I read some comments about the Ignition relay, Battery and grounds. I also read a comment about spraying the ignition key hole with contact cleaner...
Service the battery/charging system and all grounds.
On the '97 I did not do this last year when I had the battery out - and I should have..

WD -40 will do nothing in this case; the switch contacts can only be accessed by its removal - lots of work to un-earth this.

I would not be the least surprised if, in both these cases, new alternator brushes/regulator are in order..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I will start with a new battery, etc. as advised. Hoping this is not an ongoing investigation without end as this is the second electrical Ignition issue. I spoke with someone who said it was most likely a Relay.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Remember

1 service
2 test
3 diagnosis

Your battery and charging system may be fine
You may have a weak ground somewhere

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
So, Crome, what was the outcome of this electrical problem ??

·
Registered
274 Posts
like earth said. you should definitely have the charge system checked out. check the alternator. check connections to the alt. and starter. check ground.

good luck

ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts