SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 2000 9-3 Aero is getting close to 100k miles (160k km). Looking at the previous owner history - there is no reported transmission fluid replacement service, however the records I have don't cover the period from new to approx 60k miles. Its had regular yearly service attention and oil changes around the 6,000 km mark from at least 2013. I'm hoping the orginal transmission fluid was changed at the 80,000 km service or before.
Based on this - I'm planning to change the fluid soon during the holidays. I've ready seen quite a few posts already about this fluid change. I think I will be using the drain/replace 3 times method.
The posts don't seem to mention any filters - I had a quick look at the WIS and I cant seem to see any filters discussed. Is this correct?
As I will be ordering parts soon - Can someone confirm that I need a 18mm Aluminum washer for the 'plug'?
Given its age and relatively low mileage - is changing to fully synthetic ATF advised at this point?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
18mm sounds right, but I have only ever ordered the washer from Saab. If the fluid has never been changed - which is very likely at that mileage - you can probably reuse the washer.

There is no user-replaceable filter, so don't worry about that.

I have had great luck with Valvoline Maxlife in these transmissions, which is full synthetic. Any fluid that meets Dexron VI - which is pretty much all of them these days- pretty much has to be at least semi-synthetic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts