SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, so if there's a thread that covers this topic, please point me there.

So, I have a 2000 9-3 with automatic climate control. The AC evaporator needs to be replaced. My SAAB mechanic (who is a great guy that I trust) told me that I need to buy OEM for this because he has not found an aftermarket part that will fit. Problem - OEM=$1000 for the part and aftermarket = $150. He said that he has been through wars with aftermarket suppliers, sent them pics, measurements, etc. He said you could coerce the aftermarket evaporator in there on a manual AC, but not one with ACC.

It's an old car with a lot of miles, but a lot of life left. I work on it a lot myself and thought about doing this job myself. My mechanic said he would be glad to use an aftermarket product (and I would gladly pay him for the labor), but they won't work. I'm stuck.

Advice?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I am new here, so if there's a thread that covers this topic, please point me there.

So, I have a 2000 9-3 with automatic climate control. The AC evaporator needs to be replaced. My SAAB mechanic (who is a great guy that I trust) told me that I need to buy OEM for this because he has not found an aftermarket part that will fit. Problem - OEM=$1000 for the part and aftermarket = $150. He said that he has been through wars with aftermarket suppliers, sent them pics, measurements, etc. He said you could coerce the aftermarket evaporator in there on a manual AC, but not one with ACC.

It's an old car with a lot of miles, but a lot of life left. I work on it a lot myself and thought about doing this job myself. My mechanic said he would be glad to use an aftermarket product (and I would gladly pay him for the labor), but they won't work. I'm stuck.

Advice?
I doubt there's a difference between the evaporator in the ACC and MCC cars and a used one (www.car-part.com) might be the best way to go.

But, It's really rare for the evaporator to fail. Not impossible, but rare. Often, the evaporator is incorrectly diagnosed with an electronic a/c leak detector - just the moving air from the fan will cause the detector to trigger a false positive. Sticking the leak detector's sensor into ANY blowing vent will most detectors to signal a leak.

As a test, have your mechanic pressurize the a/c system with about 200 to 300 psi using nitrogen -- you usually can hear the leak at those pressures.

Other tests -- old fashioned soap solution sprayed on the components will usually form bubbles if there's any pressure in the system at all.

Just look for points in the a/c system that are oily -- any leak in the system will carry some refrigerant oil out of the system and leave dirty/oily traces behind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I replaced the evaporator in my 1999 9-3 SE with ACC and used the aftermarket kit on eeuroparts without much difficulty. the only problem I had was with the temp sensor that bolts to the evaporator. After bolting on the temp sensor the plastic case wouldn't quite fit. I dremeled off some of the plastic cover to get it to fit, no biggie. I'm guessing that the 2000 is the same. It takes a lot of time to remove everything to get the evaporator out but it is not really hard. Saves a ton of cash.

I did this last summer but this looks like the same as i used,

http://eeuroparts.com/Parts/PartDetail.php?partCode=5047931A&partName=A%2FC+Evaporator+Kit&diagramId=1158&diagramnumber=1

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just recently had the evaporator replaced on my 2000 9-3 SE - and I went with an aftermarket component. The shop mechanic told me it was very rough getting it to fit...he said "i had to bend the pipes quite a bit...and had to dremel the screws as well to fit the sensor" - he said "I'm not doing one of those again"

Personally, I'm glad he was able to get the AFT part working - because the OEM price just seemed way too high...

but, the more I learn...the more try to go with OEM - or try to repair myself- as I did with my radiator fan recently.

Tom

·
Registered
231 Posts
When have you ever had a shop mechanic tell you "that was the easiest job I've ever done". It is always difficult so that they can justify the bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts