SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys,

I'm a newbie here and am after some advice, and picking your knowledge.

I've found this Monte Carlo Yellow 4 door 2000 Viggen for sale and am wondering if it belongs/belonged to any of the owners here, or if any of you know it's history.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=240188604

The 'free' carfax report makes mention of the following:

03/21/2005

Florida
Police Report
Case# 73177092

Accident reported
in Leon County
Involving left front impact
with a fixed object
Vehicle functional
Vehicle towed

So I'm a little apprehensive, and am seeing what info I can dig up prior to contacting the dealer and placing a deposit.

I'm in Seattle so I'll have to get it shipped across the country, and inspecting it is almost out of the question.

If any of you guys know anything about it, and if it is indeed a genuine Monte Carlo (I figure a full re-spray may be a little extreme for what reads like a potentially minor incident hopefully it was only body work that was repaired) I'll go ahead and buy it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The LF fender is a shade brighter than the rest of the car. The panel gaps look good in the photo, though.
Just because a car was in an accident doesn't mean it's junk. Check all the panel gaps, drive it and see if it tracks straight, look underneath for anything that looks off. Panel gaps are the biggest indication of the quality of the body work. If the panel gaps are good then chances are the car's fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
G96nt said:
Isn't 12k kind of steep for a 2k viggen of ANY color?
Hopefully this is not the case, I bought my Viggen 2 years ago, paid a bit more than 12k for it, I'd like to think that it's holding it's value a bit better than that, but possibly I'm wrong.

jerel

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
G96nt said:
No way. There are probably less then 50 MC Yellow Viggens still on the road. These cars are holding thier value.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
G96nt said:
An MCY Viggen will be a bit more expensive (due to rarity) but all depends on the condition and mileage. Also the prices are always negotiable.
A 2K Viggen is worth about 9-10 K easily but the mileage on this one is kinda low so it it's maintained to perfection and with all the records, it's worth the money IMHO

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
..with a recorded accident.
IIRC, the other MCY 4-door I know of first-hand sold for <10k 2 years ago

I'm not here to squash your dreams. everything's got a value to an individual.
I can see the desire of a yellow viggen.. I'd probably pay top-dollar for a not-banged-up one, though.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
G96nt said:
..with a recorded accident.
IIRC, the other MCY 4-door I know of first-hand sold for <10k 2 years ago

I'm not here to squash your dreams. everything's got a value to an individual.
I can see the desire of a yellow viggen.. I'd probably pay top-dollar for a not-banged-up one, though.
I agree with you on the accident part IF there was structural damage. If it was a fender bender that damaged exterior sheet metal that was not welded to the car,like a door, bumper cover, tail light or a fender, it won't take off the car's value. Most used cars on the road got into a small fender bender at one point.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
12k Is top dollar for a 2000 4dr Viggen. I would negotiate a bit lower price from them seeing it was in an accident (Even if "minor" it was enough to form a police report...). Maybe 1k to 1500 off, since you can't get an inspection either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,

This is the type of discussion I was hoping to get. I initially thought it was a bit steep too, but if I can get them to agree to deliver it to Seattle at that listed price I'll probably pay that premium over another coloured 2K Vig.

There doesn't seem to be a great number of Vigs on the market at the moment, and all the ones I've seen seem to be within about $1K-$2K of each other with mileage often varying (+) by about 10-20K.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm.

Well I just spoke to them, and apparently the other set of wheels are what the previous owner had and decided to leave with the car. 2 with tyres, 2 without. That's fine as it means winter wheels are sorted!

As for the reported accident they're saying it was the result of the driver not pulling up in time and impacting the kerbing. Interesting that they got a tow for that, and filed a police report (I'm recently from Australia so I'm just learning how the whole insurance thing works here). The repair was apparently handled in in house at that Honda dealer.

Also they won't do shipping in that price. So I'll have to see what other tactics I can do to get it down around $10,500.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Better work fast, the more I look at that car the more I think about buying it myself.. ;)

Just playin, good luck with the buy. Garn!

Why the heck would you move from Australia to Seattle? ;)

jerel

edit: The wheel story strikes me as rather strange, why would someone want to buy two sets of Viggen wheels, unless they're just deranged? Nice to have if you get them with a car, but I can't estimate in my wildest dreams why someone who has one set of those wheels would ever want another as a spare set, unless they're bent of course. Heavy, easily bent, and not cheap are a few good reasons to not have two sets. Maybe I'm just mad at my own wheels though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jerel said:
The wheel story strikes me as rather strange, why would someone want to buy two sets of Viggen wheels, unless they're just deranged? Nice to have if you get them with a car, but I can't estimate in my wildest dreams why someone who has one set of those wheels would ever want another as a spare set, unless they're bent of course. Heavy, easily bent, and not cheap are a few good reasons to not have two sets. Maybe I'm just mad at my own wheels though.
For snow tires of course! err umm... you know, for all the snow they get in Florida. :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jerel said:
Better work fast, the more I look at that car the more I think about buying it myself.. ;)

Just playin, good luck with the buy. Garn!

Why the heck would you move from Australia to Seattle? ;)

jerel

edit: The wheel story strikes me as rather strange, why would someone want to buy two sets of Viggen wheels, unless they're just deranged? Nice to have if you get them with a car, but I can't estimate in my wildest dreams why someone who has one set of those wheels would ever want another as a spare set, unless they're bent of course. Heavy, easily bent, and not cheap are a few good reasons to not have two sets. Maybe I'm just mad at my own wheels though.

Thanks.

Oh and anyone can feel free to buy it. I'm about 2 weeks from having everything in place to secure it. If it's still on the market, great, if not I'll just continue looking.

It's currently going to cost me $13K (incl transport) (without any negotiation) before I can plonk my **** behind the wheel. Which is beginning to look like an expensive proposition. I'd almost bought a 3dr Blue Vig back in Aus as a second car earlier in the year after a nice long sojurn in Sweden so it's a battle now between the emotional and financial sides of my brain.

Baysailor must be onto it I think, it has to be that snow that Florida gets....!

Maybe the previous owner was as pedantic as I and wasn't happy with a damaged and repaired rim, so they decided to buy a replacement set. That's what I would've done.

If I do buy the car I'll be sure to give them a good inspection and check to see if the rims are out of round before sticking some winter rubber on them

I'm currently driving a sh*tbox rental Hyundai and think the Viggen would make a nice interim car to get and use to build a credit history in the US so I can then go and get a new car in several months time.

As to why I moved here, it's a career thing. My industry isn't very well supported, remunerated, nor is there a great deal of experience to be gained in it in Aus.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Matell said:

As to why I moved here, it's a career thing. My industry isn't very well supported, remunerated, nor is there a great deal of experience to be gained in it in Aus.
In the snow plow biz, eh?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sidiov said:
In the snow plow biz, eh?
Haha, good one Sidiov.

My Australian friend, I wish you the best with the car. I tossed the financial side of my brain out the door when I bought my Viggen, but I do indeed love the car. There's a thought out there in the extreme far reaches of my brain that says I may outright sell it or trade it in for a Turbo X at some time, that is if you can even get one. Talk about throwing out the financial side of the brain....

jerel

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
When a car comes with two "spare" wheels, and has "collided with a staionary object" I'd tend to belive those wheels were in on it. buying a car online is risky, buying a post-collision car online is exponentially riskier.

Consider flying to FL to have a look @ it.
southwest airlines sells cheap tickets(<100US), and you may, or may not be driving a viggen back from FL to WA

1 - 20 of 49 Posts