SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) does anyone else with a turbo 900 LPT or FPT experience a really REALLY hot tail pipe? Like so hot that it melts the bumper? mine is melting the bumper....:confused:

2) What spark plugs are people using? which are the best for the turbo set ups? i have 2 options: bosch platinum 2, its a standard plug i think and then NGK's bottom of the bottom line plugs...i cant find any better plugs...anyone know where i can get some? *key thing to know: i have a N/A head in my car...if that changed anything

thanks

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Hello

Your bumper should not be touching your exhaust and vice versa, yes they do get hot but i can know how hot your hot is.

Your exhaust mounts are all checked and ok?

Spark plugs is a personal thing IMO, Bosch are fine, NGK are fine, Champion also ok but can have mis matched resistance check them all.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
considering 1/4 of my exhaust glows red hot when i push the car i can't imagine how hot the tail it as well. of course it has lots of room from the bumper, check to make sure you have hangers, i say a saab just tonite with no hangers and the tail came way up, not normal! even if the tail was glowing red (for some reason)i can't imagine it melting the bumper if the correct gap was there.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
OE fit plugs for a FPT are the NGK BCP7EV. You're probably running 6-grade plugs on the car being as it was an NA, and those will be too hot. You need to go one step colder.

Can't see you going wrong with BCP7EVs. Aren't those what LPTs run anyway?

You can always inspect them for sooting (too cold) or glazed (too hot).

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Matthew said:
OE fit plugs for a FPT are the NGK BCP7EV. You're probably running 6-grade plugs on the car being as it was an NA, and those will be too hot. You need to go one step colder.

Can't see you going wrong with BCP7EVs. Aren't those what LPTs run anyway?
That's an affirmative. This message is too short.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
If your exhaust is excessively hot I wonder if you're running lean which might explain your idle problems too.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Jezzadee said:
That's an affirmative. This message is too short.
:lol:

Oops, too many smileys
Urk, too many images
Um, not enough text
Aargh, not enough smileys
Err, too much text
Tough, can't search on those words
Grrr, no I won't turn off "new post" indicators
Sorry Dave I can't do that

:evil: :roll:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im assuming thats the part number for the plugs?

My tail pipe was touching the bumper just a bit because when i put on the new exhaust it lifted it a little higher. It's ok now, i really dont think it will melt anymore, but i was just wondering if it was normal...

Maybe it is caused by the engine runnning lean?

thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Actually, if your tailpipe was touching that's all it would take to melt the bumper. The exhaust gases would be hotter from the turbo as well. I thought you were getting melting just from the usual gap!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Matthew said:
:lol:

Oops, too many smileys
Urk, too many images
Um, not enough text
Aargh, not enough smileys
Err, too much text
Tough, can't search on those words
Grrr, no I won't turn off "new post" indicators