SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my 9-5 in the shop for an engine swap. When I pull up the reverse lock and try to stick it in reverse it wont go in to gear, it can take several minutes til it finally slips into reverse. Solutions for this problem? I am also looking for a new turbo can someone point me in the right direction for a better turbo not and OEM.
Thanks all

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
you can upgrade your turbo to the one on the Aero (Mitsubishi TD04-15t) and then throw an Aero ECU upgrade in and get the car up to 265hp or so.

if you want to go further you're going to need to do some internals (i.e. forged pistons)

To upgrade you have to change some of the plumbing for water and oil since the bolts are not the same for the Garrett and the Mitsubishi.

I'll let others who are experts in the m annual transmission answer the other question.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
FYI - the BCB stage 2 will get you to 275HP and 310ft-lbs with the TD04 and an ECU upgrade. You need a free-flow intake (like a free flow filter) but nothing more. There are other tuners as well, most advertise here. lots of forum participants have used most of them.

Your stock 99 low pressure turbo was something like 195 hp and 210 ft lbs. You WILL notice that!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did the reverse issue start before or after the swap? When you start having the reverse issue; Check for loose linkage, the shift lock (under the gator); it sometimes shifts direction and jams the stick; worse case scenario would be to change the reverse gear and or a worn reverse synchro.

Just put my 9-5 in the shop for an engine swap. When I pull up the reverse lock and try to stick it in reverse it wont go in to gear, it can take several minutes til it finally slips into reverse. Solutions for this problem? I am also looking for a new turbo can someone point me in the right direction for a better turbo not and OEM.
Thanks all

·
Registered
308 Posts
You're probably encountering "reverse blocking," which was due to internal flaws in the gearbox. There are TSBs out on the issue.

Link to Genuine Saab transmission TSB

You can try moving the shifter into 4th gear (or other gear) before going into reverse ––*sometimes that aligns the synchros to make it easier to get it in.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Funny you posted this,m I did an engine swap in my car last year and just not had issues engaging reverse. I pulled the reverse stop plastic piece out and was able to engage reverse. Seems I was either slamming it to the right to engage reverse or now without the plastic piece there I can just drop it into reverse no problem. I know the issue for me is a slight adjustment of the shift linkage but I have two sprained ankles and leaning into the engine bay in negative temperatures was not going to happen. Which is why I removed the plastic reverse lockout piece....I also no longer utilize the reverse lockout so its of no importance to me anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FYI - the BCB stage 2 will get you to 275HP and 310ft-lbs with the TD04 and an ECU upgrade. You need a free-flow intake (like a free flow filter) but nothing more. There are other tuners as well, most advertise here. lots of forum participants have used most of them.

Your stock 99 low pressure turbo was something like 195 hp and 210 ft lbs. You WILL notice that!
The stock Saab OEM filter on the 9-5 is good for power up to 350hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts