SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys me AGAIN! lol

ive got a couple of questions and was hoping someone knows the answers.

1, im have a new roof and want to fit it now i know its a pretty easy job once you get the rear door cards off. ive been looking and there are no screws and no visibil sign of getting it off. i have a haynes manuel and it covers getting the front door and rear door cards off of a 4 door 900 but nothing for a 2 door.
has anyone taken them off or have any idea as to where i should start?

the second question is the handling of the car is s**t. the steering wheel keeps jumping around and shakes like mad on minor bumps in the road. looking at my fore arms when this happens looks like im firing a heavy machine gun.
ive had all four wheels balanced and im to the tracking is fine.
does anyone elses 900 do this or is it just mine? also if it is just mine does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks for looking guys and all comments on the above are most welcome. i would also like to say sorry for any spelling errors its just that i have been up for 14 hours and im dead tired lol. so with that im now off to bed.
thanks again.
keeny

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
hi guys me AGAIN! lol

ive got a couple of questions and was hoping someone knows the answers.

1, im have a new roof and want to fit it now i know its a pretty easy job once you get the rear door cards off. ive been looking and there are no screws and no visibil sign of getting it off. i have a haynes manuel and it covers getting the front door and rear door cards off of a 4 door 900 but nothing for a 2 door.
has anyone taken them off or have any idea as to where i should start? Look under the rear seat. You'll have to pull the cushion and seat back to get to the screws. If I remember correctly there a few behind plastic plugs as well.

the second question is the handling of the car is s**t. the steering wheel keeps jumping around and shakes like mad on minor bumps in the road. looking at my fore arms when this happens looks like im firing a heavy machine gun.
ive had all four wheels balanced and im to the tracking is fine.
does anyone elses 900 do this or is it just mine? also if it is just mine does anyone have any suggestions? Does it feel loose like something is wrong or just unsteady? I ask because Cowl Shake is a well known issue with the convertibles. Cowl shake an best be described by picturing a cardboard toilet paper roll. If you twist it slightly it holds stiff. Take that same roll and cut a huge window out of one side then repeat your test. That's the same issue with removing the roof from a car without a full-length frame. A 6-point frame brace from Genuine Saab fixed that issue in my 900 and 9³. The addition of the frame brace made the car feel like a hard top.

Now, if the wheel is shaking on straight drives then you may just need an alignment and tire balancing. The verts are very very sensitive to front end issues due to their lack of bracing and tend to magnify issues that a hard-top would shrug off easily. Control arms, bushings and ball joints can also give a sloppy front end.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same issue on my 9-3 vert. Its in the shop now for this exact issue (cowl shake) If my front end checks out is there anyway to reduce the amount of shake? You mentioned a 6 point frame brace. Where did you get that (link)?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the link. I will see if the shop sees any front end issues. If not then I guess the brace is in check. Will the brace really make the vert feel like a hard top? I ask because there not cheap ya know, but I will get it because the car feels like crap. I cant believe Saab would let them come out of the factory like that.:cry:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Update on the shops advice: I just got my car back from a shop near my office. They suggested that i replace my rear shox and front struts. ummmmm..... my shox are deff not blown.WTF? Its not my norm shop at all. I just left it there out of convenience. It didn't cost me anything to get it looked at so oh well. Maybe i will just have to get the 6 pointer.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My '99 vert had the Eibach Pro kit, KYB struts and shocks, Taliaferro 6-point subframe brace and Taliaferro rear Sway bar. It was rock solid and cornered like it was on rails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts