SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, on my 05 9-3 Linear I have an oil leak on the driver's side of the engine bay. I sourced the leak to the vacuum pump and I have a gasket on its way in the mail. Looking more around the engine bay I noticed there's oil on the back of the engine between the turbo cover and engine itself and there's some oil in those little spaces on the back of the engine. Also to the left of the back of the engine there's a lot of oil , it kind of looks like it's under where the MAF sensor is (not on it but on whatever's under it) do you guys have any idea what those leaks could be from? I don't notice any oil on the ground I only notice it on the ground from the vacuum pump leak but I do notice a weird burning smell when I park the car after driving 20+ miles on the highway. Might as well also throw this in here since I'm making a thread, when the car is cold and I start it, it squeaks on idle. I think this may be a serpentine or belt issue but I wanted to get your opinions on it while I'm at it. I can also post pics of the leaks if necessary. Thank you in advanced!

·
Super Moderator
19,220 Posts
PCV and valve cover gasket. Might as well do both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PCV and valve cover gasket. Might as well do both.
From my research that's what I figured it would be, but I read that the pcv updates were only from 99-04? The valve cover gasket I've seen many videos on YouTube for how to replace, but I haven't seen any for the PCV. Do you by chance know the part number I would need and have a video/guide I could follow? Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh boy lol the PCV replacement seems hard to do judging by the video. I'm really new to all this, my experience with repairs comes from fixing cellphones and computers for 5 years now which is why I think I could do the valve cover gasket pretty easily but for some reason that video for the PCV replacement seems intimidating 😭😂😂. Thank you guys for your help though, now I know what the issue is and will take a stab at it. One more question is it harmful for me to be driving the car as is for another month while I get ready to do the repairs or is it safe as long as the oil level is good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20191213_184421.jpg

Could anyone tell me what this plug is for? It's unplugged and zip tied to itself to the right of the power steering stuff

·
Super Moderator
19,220 Posts
plug is for reverse lamps on manual cars
there are 2 seals in vac pump. do both.

·
Super Moderator
19,220 Posts
I drove several years with it leaking. its fine. just smells and goes slow because you are losing boost into crankcase

·
Super Moderator
19,220 Posts
If you can work on a computer or phone you can turn a wrench.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I drove several years with it leaking. its fine. just smells and goes slow because you are losing boost into crankcase
Would that cause more oil leaks?
Boost going into crankcase?
Not sure how this process works.
I sealed the main seal (not the rough one) with gasket maker.
I later developed a larger oil leak from the crankshaft seal I think.

·
Super Moderator
19,220 Posts
Would that cause more oil leaks?
Boost going into crankcase?
Not sure how this process works.
I sealed the main seal (not the rough one) with gasket maker.
I later developed a larger oil leak from the crankshaft seal I think.
Probably. I would replace both.

·
Registered
497 Posts
How does boost get into the crackcase when you have bad vacuum pump seals?

Seems like this device is a vacuum pump driven off of one of the engine camshafts and the vacuum hose goes to the brake booster.

·
Super Moderator
19,220 Posts
its the pcv that causes loss of boost not vac pump. im just telling you what needs replaced

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh okay, got it.
I think my PVC is okay, from what I have read.
Latex glove gets sucked into the engine oil filler hole, when idling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts