SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car is a '90 2 litre turbo. The belt in question is the one that runs over the tensioner pulley and drives the water pump, alternator (IIRC) and power steering.

Someone in the past has fabricated a substitute for parts 3, 4 and 5 (see pic) which are the bushes and the 2-part sleeve through which the bolt (part 6) goes. This indirectly supports the pulley wheel via the alternator mounting bracket. There are no rubber bushes, and it appears they have fabricated the metal in a larger diameter to take up the space the bushes would take up.

The fabricated parts have worn from vibration (due to no protection from rubber bushes) and as a result the pulley leans in toward the block and the belt is rubbing on the engine and starting to cut into the metal. It will wear out and break before long of course, and as things are, the belt has started to hop off the pulley at random.

Despite the long preamble, my question is pretty simple. Can anyone advise if I can do a straight substitute for the self-adjusting spring tensioner with the hand-adjusted type? Is it more fiddly than that?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a gentle bump in case anyone knows this for certain..

Can I change the spring-loaded type belt tensioner on a 2 litre engine for the adjustable type?

I'm thinking of picking one up tomorrow and just giving it a try. Not sure if it requires a different length belt tho...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts