SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the tops is not to bad a job. Thanks for everyone's input. It has taken me about 10 days to get the parts (Both main and rear top) not to mention fitting the work into my 60 hr work week schedule.

Now, I just noticed that the new main top doesn't quite look like the old one.
The Wind stop (Front of main top) is smaller than the old top and the new top came with another piece (Similar to wind stop but much smaller) and I did not take anything off that even resembles this extra piece.

I checked with Saab to purchase another aluminum retainer (for the feature strip on the fourth bow, I bent the crap out of the old one) and they faxed me a detailed parts page (Graphic pictorial) and I didn't see it on that top. The page listed 94-96 900 Saab, so I asked if he could send me one for a 1993 900. Low and behold, there were the parts I needed (Aluminum retainer and feature strip) for a 1986 thru 1993 900 Saab.

They then notified me that they changed the top configuration in 1994 for vin numbers T700 and up for the newer top. Below that vin used the 1993 and earlier version. I ordered my top from a company that has it listed as a top for 86-94 model year. (Which the saabsite also has it) with no reference to Vin #'s for the 94 year. You would think they would send the same top for any year but mine looks as if it might be the later year.

Anyone ever change out a 94 top and have similar problems? It is confusing and now I will have to wait until Monday to get a response from someone about either exchanging/replacing or letting me know that this is the only top I can get for the 94 model year.

·
4,637 Posts
The top will be quite different between the C900 and the NG900. The C900 top should have a U-shaped opening for the rear window with a small rectangular section to go below the rear window. It should also have a 'front roll' (the windbreaker strip that lies between the front bow and the top of the windscreen).

AFAIK, the NG900 will have a one piece cutout for the rear window (does it also have the glass in?).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the rear section of the top (Just like the one I took out) has the defroster glass in it and looks identifcal to it. It is the main top that I am concerned with, when I look at the windbrake section (Seperate from the top) it is not as wide as the one I took off. It might be that the only difference between the newer (94-96) 900 main section tops vs the 86-93's is in the windbrake area. That is what I'm trying to find out, I think I will fit it to make sure that it is the right size, I'll keep my fngers crossed. I will try and take a pic of the old/new windbrake and post it so ya'll can see. (Tuesday or Wednesday time frame, darn work)

Hopefully, I will get an answer from M&T Manufacturing ( convertibletopguys dot com) early next week so I can get this top finsihed. FYI here is what I ordered.

Quan PartID Description
----------------------------------------------
1 CONV-ATPS-SFTPKG A COMPLETE PACKAGE IN CANVAS: HAARTZ STAYFAST CANVAS TOP WITH DEFROSTER GLASS REAR WINDOW; PAIR HOLD DOWN CABLES, TACK STRIP, AND SAAB INSTALL MANUAL. specify color in checkout message., Color: Tan

PS. I did not recieve the installation manual or maybe I wouldn't be so confused.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
speed32219 said:
It might be that the only difference between the newer (94-96) 900 main section tops vs the 86-93's is in the windbrake area.
The main difference between the "newer" 900 and the "earlier" one is that they're completely different cars...

86-93 will be the c900.
94-96 will be the NG900.

The c900 convertible was available in '94, after the launch of the NG900, until the NG 'vert was available - but I very much doubt they went to all the hassle and expense of changing the ragtop about for the sales runout...

·
4,637 Posts
speed32219 said:
CONV-ATPS-SFTPKG A COMPLETE PACKAGE IN CANVAS: HAARTZ STAYFAST CANVAS TOP WITH DEFROSTER GLASS REAR WINDOW; PAIR HOLD DOWN CABLES, TACK STRIP, AND SAAB INSTALL MANUAL.
This sounds like not the original style of top. The original top is
"CONV-GEX-SAAB8694MT-SON MAIN TOP IN ORIGINAL SONNENLAND GERMAN CANVAS. FOR USE WITH EXISTING OR A NEW GLASS REAR WINDOW SECTION."

This assumes you have the original rear glass in its own vinyl section with a zipper at the top to drop the glass with the roof up.

Have you already started fitting the top? If so, there's very little chance they'll take it back if it's wrong. The later 900 has no 'windbreak' (do you mean the front roll here that sits between front bow and windscreen frame?).

If it's the case that the rear glass is part of the main top and you have an intact glass already on the car in the zippered section, I'd recommend you return that top and get the Sonnenland canvas top instead. Cheaper and you get to unzip the rear glass for those wet, hot, humid days...

Photos of the new and old tops, any glass and all the bits would help a lot...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, the zipper is in the Old rear top section as well as the new one. (It is a two piece top, one main and one rear section)

I did not order the sonneland orginal, but the after market HAARTZ STAYFAST CANVAS replacement to save a small fortune $$$.

I am calling it the windbrake (which I thought was the name for it but I mean the front roll that sits between the front bow and windscreen frame), it is the piece that fits on the front section after you glue the main top to the frame.

I will try and post pics as soon as possible.

TooMany2cvs

"but I very much doubt they went to all the hassle and expense of changing the ragtop about for the sales runout..."

I agree with you totally, I am just concerned that the vendor who sold me the 1994 top, sent me the one for the 94 (NG900) rather than the earlier 93 prior to the NG900. That is where the VIN numbers come into play that I posted earlier.

Although, lookinig at the pictorial from the dealership, the newer top (1994 NG900 as you mentioned) looks like it may be one piece rather than two.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Where in florida are you located?
I also have a 94 vert that I plan on installing a new top onto.

I will also be going the aftermarket route as the dealer quoted me $1500 for a new top :roll: .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Jacksonville, go Panthers! :)

Yeah, I had a quote for 1500 also, that was for the main top ONLY! So for less than 650 I am trying to change both the rear and main top assembly, per someones recommendation in an earlier post.

·
4,637 Posts
That sounds like the correct top. The one I got came without a rear glass 'cos I re-used the one on the car. It came with a 12" X 48" cloth strip to go along the base of the glass instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts