SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, so recently the saab has thrown another curve ball at me and it again seems electrical in nature. "P0341: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)" I changes BOTH sensors, started the car up and check engine and error was still present. Which now mean I must have an issue in the wire running from the sensor to ECU (ME9) in the back of the engine.

Guy suggested I just run new wires to the connector. My question is this, is this a common solution and how do you actually use and/or get the correct exact connectors so you can place it into the plastic connectors? I have the depinning tool just don't know how to get a hold of the stock pin connectors.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not delete the code and the reason being that the last time I had a misfire code (after I changed my coils), the code went away as soon as the car started up. I also felt the car stumble a hair this time when I fresh started after the sensor change which tells me the problem is probably still present.

I changed the ME9 a month ago trying to fix a multi misfire code on the car.

Did you erase codes before read them again?
You might have bad ME9.6

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up using the tech2 to erase the code, came back. Anyone know if these 2.8 cars eat up wiring harnesses? I am assuming now that the issue is in- between the sensor and the ecu.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So to follow up on the p0341. Cleared the code and starting the car, code comes back pretty quick. I did all the continuity and power tests on the camshaft sensor as per the WIS. I picked up an oscilloscope to get my waveforms and I noticed an an odd artifact. The camshaft sensor basically picks up the 4 teeth or the reluctor wheel and reports them. The waveforms should be short short long long rinse and repeat. My front camshaft is showing a nice perfect signal, by rear is showing an issue right at the end as shown below.

Video below.

I need to do a cam/crank signal plot to see if I am having timing issues. I am hoping my timing chain isn't the problem.

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
Sadly V6 timing chain issues aren't exactly uncommon. Glad you caught it before something catastrophic happened.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't confirm this just yet. The WIS mentions checking the timing but the section it points to doesn't show anything. I found the sentence about checking the timing when I looked up code p0340 (which I get occasionally) and that leads to checking P0008 and the sentence about timing.

The new forum is a real real mess, they got rid of the 2.8 subsection and you can't search one section now only all sections and p0341 comes up all over :confused: Saab central must have been sold!

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
Sorry. P0341 wouldn't have been in the 2.8 subsection as it was a performance/mods subforum. It had very little traffic so I asked it be consolidated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry. P0341 wouldn't have been in the 2.8 subsection as it was a performance/mods subforum. It had very little traffic so I asked it be consolidated.
Didn't realize it was under performance/mod section. Being that the 2.8 (HFV6) engine is a completely different animal then the 2.0 engine, I think it should have a subsection as the problems and issues are pretty different. Any idea on when the search feature is going to be fixed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts