SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, before you answer "it can't be done", please read what I'm going to do. If I wanted to convert my 93 into a Viggen Fighter Jet, I could do it.

I have a Forge BOV from my volvo that bolts directly to where the TD04 on our V6 SAAB's have the CBV (Compressor Bypass Valve). Instead of going through all the work of mounting a BOV somewhere on the charge pipes, the Forge BOV seems to be the easiest bolt on.

A couple questions. First, I noticed the CBV is not the standard type. It's a huge black cylinder looking thing which looks like it might be electronically controlled instead of just a simple diaphram like I usually see on other cars. Any idea what's different about this black thing? On my volvo, when I replaced the CBV I didn't get any codes, the idle was just rough sometimes. When everyone always replies that it can't be done, what are you guys referring to? Mounting solutions? electronic problems like the MAF/MAP not compensating? I've seen a couple of you tube videos of the 93 V6's with HKS BOV's. I'm sure these are mounted in series which was what I was planning to do at first. But moutning a BOV to that cheap plastic charge pipe is difficult and ugly. I'm sure this is the easier way to run a BOV without having any issues.

I'm thinking of giving the Forge valve a try reguardless, just like to see if anyone has any additional input.

thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Why mess with it? I think there are better and easier ways to get more power.
Brian at Vtuner suggeted this one--Gizzmo MS-IBC.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why mess with it? I think there are better and easier ways to get more power.
Brian at Vtuner suggeted this one--Gizzmo MS-IBC.
who said anything about getting more power? Honestly, I'm already rebuilding a 19T. I want a BOV for fun, nothing else. Our cars don't feel like turbo cars. If you have a tune you'll know exactly what I mean, the flat torque curve almost feels like there's no turbo spool. The turbo sound is almost non existent, neither is the motor. A BOV would be a nice addition. Mods to make more noise is not a rice mod. IMO half of a cars driving experience comes from the sound it makes, which is why I opted for a V6 and not an I4. 90% of people who ask me about my car think it's a slow N/A 4 banger, not too many peopl even know that SAAB's are turbocharged. Older SAAB's were a dead giveaway because of the "Turbo" badges.

Anyways, please, help with the CBV would be great, I'm not looking for "power mods".

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
It can't be done on T8 systems (the 4 cyl)
On the V6 it can be done, but you'll experience the same symptons as your volvo which a choppy idle once in a while... maybe it might throw a code.
Replacing the electronic BPV though will throw a code and make your car run worse.
Mounting to the hot side of the intercooler piping would be better

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It can't be done on T8 systems (the 4 cyl)
On the V6 it can be done, but you'll experience the same symptons as your volvo which a choppy idle once in a while... maybe it might throw a code.
Replacing the electronic BPV though will throw a code and make your car run worse.
Mounting to the hot side of the intercooler piping would be better
Cool thanks, that's pretty much as I predicted. I don't mind the choppy idle. Usually tightening the BOV spring will give you a bit more compresser surge (flutter) but compensate and give you better idle. I'm just concerned as to what this CBV code will do to the performance of the car. If it's just going to show a code I dont' care, but if it goes into limp mode or starts pulling timing, that's what I'm worried about.

I'm pretty sure running the stock CBV and BOV in series will not cause any problems (like you said running the BOV on the hot side). However, I really don't want to hack up that plastic piping. I would have to tap the piping right before the bend going to the throttle body and run a small hose and have the BOV mounted to the firewall, very ugly. I'll just throw on the Forge valve and report back with what happens. Maybe if I leave the stock CBV plugged in electronically, it won't even through a code. I was also worried about the MAF/MAP sensors. On some MAF cars, they don't take BOV's at all and usually just stall after you've let off the throttle.

thanks,

Bry

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'd love to see a Forge diverter valve on a V6 car....no need for me to have the full BOV sound, but I think a DV would give much quicker and predictable responses when coming on and off the boost....

And I do agree a bit that sound is what makes the driving experience better....but of course there is a limit! Hahaha.....

Sean

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you put the BSR intake on your car?
I had 1 on my 2.0t linear. loved it. drove around the 1st week w/o the radio on so i could listen to the turbo sound. could hear it from outside the car too.

I recently bought an 08 aero and i'll be putting the BSR v6 intake version on it when i can spare the $.

·
Registered
107 Posts
who said anything about getting more power? Honestly, I'm already rebuilding a 19T. I want a BOV for fun, nothing else. Our cars don't feel like turbo cars. If you have a tune you'll know exactly what I mean, the flat torque curve almost feels like there's no turbo spool. The turbo sound is almost non existent, neither is the motor. A BOV would be a nice addition. Mods to make more noise is not a rice mod. IMO half of a cars driving experience comes from the sound it makes, which is why I opted for a V6 and not an I4. 90% of people who ask me about my car think it's a slow N/A 4 banger, not too many peopl even know that SAAB's are turbocharged. Older SAAB's were a dead giveaway because of the "Turbo" badges.

Anyways, please, help with the CBV would be great, I'm not looking for "power mods".
I had a friend who ran a TurboXS RFL bov on his WRX, it was cool for the first hour...then it got really annoying. Replaced with an SSQV...still really annoying. Personally I like a nice Forge recirc valve and open air intake. Enough sound (quiet pshh) without being annoying.

That said, from what I've seen, the V6 should be able to handle it though it will stumble a bit from the loss of metered air. You may want to try a hybrid blowoff valve, that can divert some back into the intake but let enough to atmosphere to give you the sound. Be careful going with too stiff a spring...typically you want to use as soft a spring as possible (I tuned the forge on my Viggen by finding which spring juuust started to let a little boost leak on full pressure, and added 2 spacers)or else you'll be defeating the purpose of the valve entirely.

Good luck, post a vid if you get it to work well!

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey I've been expermenting with bov systems on my aero and so far I tried a blow off valve block off plate that goes inbetween the boost control pressure valve. (Black cylender) and my car threw a p2281 Cel which is air leak before the throttle. Sounds just like a bov loud as ever but that code puts the car into limp mode. If you figure out a way to put a traditional bov on your aero I'd like to be the first to know how.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The ME9 system can pick up on any loss of air from the charge air system and the electronic valve needs to stay connected as its resistance must be present at all times...this could possible be bluffed with some resistors etc.
So yes the Forge valve will work form a physical perspective but expect fault code problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you want more sound take a jigsaw to the pipes after the Y and before the muffler, sounds great as is until you get around to straight pipes. Agreed a BOV would be the icing on the cake. Do a muffler delete with the BOV and I promise you'll thank me, can always revert to stock

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
if you want more sound take a jigsaw to the pipes after the Y and before the muffler, sounds great as is until you get around to straight pipes. Agreed a BOV would be the icing on the cake. Do a muffler delete with the BOV and I promise you'll thank me, can always revert to stock
On a 2.0T? Cutting before the mufflers will sound like butt. And BOVs aren't really advised on the Trionic 8 cars. You can do it, but it's not how the system was designed to work and you'll probably get a CEL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
j
On a 2.0T? Cutting before the mufflers will sound like butt. And BOVs aren't really advised on the Trionic 8 cars. You can do it, but it's not how the system was designed to work and you'll probably get a CEL.
I'm talking about the aero 2.8T v6 and cutting the mufflers after the Y is fine. (it's not a T8 car btw and 2.0s didn't have dual exhausts anyways until the xwd years)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts