SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am thinking about upgrading the suspension so the car will handle better. But I have few questions that hopefully someone will be able to answer. First, does anyone know what the stock springs are rated at? I am looking for something a little stiffer so there won't be so much body roll in the corners. Second, what are some decent shock and spring kits or coilovers. I see a lot for the SS, but I know the Aero is lower than the SS stock so will a lowering spring for the SS lower the Aero? Any help would be appreciated including those who have gotten uprated shocks and springs and your impressions on the ride afterward. Here are a couple kits/coilovers I am interested in.

Koni Sport Kit (cheaper)
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_208&products_id=3088

H&R Coilover (more expensive)
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_456&products_id=2540

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I currently have H&R springs sitting in my house, and I've ordered the Koni Yellow shocks - they are currently back ordered until the 29th of this month.

If you get lowering springs, your car (being an Aero) will also get lower but not by much.

So if you get the Eibach springs which lower 30mm, in reality, on our Aeros you would only see a 20mm drop as the Aero suspension is already lower by 10mm.

I personally thought about getting coilovers, but it's a bit too pricey for my liking.

Just in case you didn't know, the Koni Yellows are adjustable (firmness). The fronts can be adjusted after the install while the rears have to be adjusted prior to installation.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I added Koni FSD's to my Vette the car was lowered 3/8"-1/2". Koni said it was due to the lower pressure FSD's. So you could lower your car without doing springs with the FSD's.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
When I added Koni FSD's to my Vette the car was lowered 3/8"-1/2". Koni said it was due to the lower pressure FSD's. So you could lower your car without doing springs with the FSD's.
Not sure it would lower our cars. Many members have installed the FSD's on their cars and I don't remember anyone saying their car got lower or their ride height changed. Even if it did, it doesn't seem to be noticeable on our cars. On the Vette, I don't know :)

I also read somewhere here a member that spoke with a Koni rep who informed him that the FSD's were deemed too soft for our heavier V6 (180lbs upfront) and suggested he get Yellows and put them on soft/soft.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately

I would definately go with the stiffer setup. Maybe I will go with the Koni setup. It's cheaper and I get the drop with the firmness. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm a V6 owner who's looking at 2 options for suspension..

#1 KW V1 which I priced at 1650CDN.

#2 KONI Sports w/ Eibach pro kit. $900CDN

The KW's are ride height adjustable so I'm leaning towards that. The only reason I don't like the Eibachs is because they are meant for the 4 cyl model. It only lists till 2005. That's a problem because they are meant to lower 30mm front and rear evenly. With the V6's 180lbs heavier front end, you'll have a lower front end giving you a raked look. I honestly don't care how it looks, but the car's aero and handling will be affected by this extra front end weight for sure.

Anyone have Eibach springs on the V6? How are they? I don't think there are any properly spec'd V6 springs anywhere. Many companies just list for all years. Anyone know of any proper V6 springs? I bottom out and hit my aero front lip quite often, I don't need a raked car.

thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If your looking to reduce roll.....get swaybars.
Good job there stating the obvious...

#1 - none available

#2 - thicker sway bars are useless without stiffer dampers/springs

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've settled with KONI Sport and Eibach Pro Kit springs. Bad news, everything is backordered. I work for a suspension distributor, so I got the news directly from the manufacturer. All Eibach springs for our cars are currently backordered till beg of june! Ouch! KONI's are backordered till the end of may.

The Eibach springs lower 1.2 front 1.2 rear on the 4 cyl models. I'm going to install them and see if the extra 180lbs up front will make a significant difference on the front end drop. If it's too raked I'm going to get prothane to custom made me some taller spring seats to raise the front up a bit.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yup, all Koni's products are back ordered. I placed my order for the Sports on March 8, and while the next shipment from Holland was supposed to be at the end of this month, I received an email saying they have been delayed another 3-4 weeks, which sounds in line with what you said.

I ended up paying an additional $60 and the shop I bought my shocks from ordered the rears from Tirerack and he had the fronts in stocks, so he will be shipping them out next week hopefully.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good job there stating the obvious...

#1 - none available

#2 - thicker sway bars are useless without stiffer dampers/springs

Just looked for some swaybars for you....sorry, your right they dont exist. As far as #2...thicker sway bars will keep the car level through the corner regardless of springs and dampers.

No need to get upset my friend. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts