SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been solved/discussed already, but I’m seeing fluid on top of reservoir.
Is it as simple as changing the cap?

Car is 2006 aero 2.8t.

The pump is belt driven so it’s not the common 4cyl issue with the seal. That’s the only thing I’m finding when searching here. Anyone have ideas... I haven’t replaced the cap yet.

when I brought my car to the track, I had to keep cleaning the fluid off the reservoir after track sessions and the pump was groaning.

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
The cap should have a seal on the underside. If that's missing, you'll get fluid leaking out.

I assume the fluid level is correct.

Have you tried pulling the cap when the pump is groaning and taking a look for bubbling or boiling?

What power steering fluid are you running? You probably should change the fluid. I would think one of the CHF fluids would be best, not sure which for your application.

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
Whoops, read that as 2.3, not 2.8! Not sure about the cap seal. Fluid suggestion stands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m running chf 202. Reservoir was low because of the overflow situations. Groaning happened while on the track. Not sure, but maybe the high rpms on the track caused too much pressure and caused it to overflow 🤔 Seal is there on the cap.

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
You got me.

Might want to check the temperature of the fluid and the pump after a run.

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
I’m running chf 202. Reservoir was low because of the overflow situations. Groaning happened while on the track. Not sure, but maybe the high rpms on the track caused too much pressure and caused it to overflow 🤔 Seal is there on the cap.
You got me.

Might want to check the temperature of the fluid and the pump after a run.
Ed is on the right track IMO. You might be getting foaming or high temps due to track use. I’d flush the PS system with fresh fluid and look at adding a PS cooler if you’re tracking the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good! I’ll try swapping the old fluid out and see if it still happens. It is definitely blackish in colour

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
Sounds like oil to me due to failed seal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just looking at the cap, there’s an o-ring that looks like it’s flat/worn out which is suppose to seal up against the body of the reservoir, it looks like that could be the culprit. I’m going to try and find a replacement o-ring from somewhere and see if that solves it.

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
its cam driven. seal between pump and block.

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
its cam driven. seal between pump and block.
I am getting old, but I could have sworn the power steering pump was belt driven on the V6... :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
I'm also getting old. Is it?

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
Dang, looks like it is. In that case, yeah I'd replace cap or oring on cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2.8, from what I can tell there's no seal on the very top of the cap like most are. It's just an o-ring towards the top. Unfortunately I don't have the measurements for the seal, I just replaced it with an o-ring I had laying around and it did fix the leak. I'd also recommend flushing the fluid

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
O-ring has been replaced and looks like leak has stopped!

thanks everyone !!!!
My first suggestion pans out! :geek:

My NG900 had a PS reservoir cap that was missing it seal. I always wondered why the reservoir was sweating fluid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts