SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... we have a DMF. How many people have had it resurfaced(against the book), how many have just deglazed it.... or did you replace it?. I've got a Spec stage 2+ to swap in. I'm considering paying to have it done, with a labor rate of $85/hr ar 7 hours, it doesn't seem so bad based on what I'm looking at, I'm not one to have people work on my car, but I think I might want to have this one done... it seriously looks like a PITA, especially on ramps and in my driveway. So talk to me about what you've done with your DMF. That's all new to me.... I don't want to go back in there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
form what i was told, the flywheel on my current aero wasnt touched when they did the clutch on it. Seems to be working fine. But having it resurfaced is always a good idea. dont forget to tell them to use new flywheel bolts if they do end up removing it. bolts are TTY

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
form what i was told, the flywheel on my current aero wasnt touched when they did the clutch on it. Seems to be working fine. But having it resurfaced is always a good idea. dont forget to tell them to use new flywheel bolts if they do end up removing it. bolts are TTY
Good to know, thank you. I'll source some new bolts before the job as I'll want the rear main replaced while we're in there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Good to know, thank you. I'll source some new bolts before the job as I'll want the rear main replaced while we're in there.
for the price of the rear main, if your bringing your own part, bring 2 of them with you. In case one gets damaged as they try and put it in. Helps avoid downtime. Seal should only be like $10 anyway

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just scuffed mine up, didn't even take it off the block. Been running my Spec stage 2+ for a few months with 19T, 650cc injectors and custom e85 tune, no issues except for very minimal clutch chatter. Did mine on jackstands in my garage with some help. It was a pain in the ***, but getting the transmission out is not so hard, subframe is pretty straight forward to drop. The main problem I had was getting the tranny back in. It's much easier if you remove the alternator, and bracket and drop the intermediate shaft so you're not fighting it trying to line up two shafts. After that it's fairly easy to re-assemble.

I have always been told to never touch a seal unless it's leaking. Mine was not, and was not replaced.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just scuffed mine up, didn't even take it off the block. Been running my Spec stage 2+ for a few months with 19T, 650cc injectors and custom e85 tune, no issues except for very minimal clutch chatter. Did mine on jackstands in my garage with some help. It was a pain in the ***, but getting the transmission out is not so hard, subframe is pretty straight forward to drop. The main problem I had was getting the tranny back in. It's much easier if you remove the alternator, and bracket and drop the intermediate shaft so you're not fighting it trying to line up two shafts. After that it's fairly easy to re-assemble.

I have always been told to never touch a seal unless it's leaking. Mine was not, and was not replaced.
Thanks for the tips, I'm feeling more and more like paying to have this done, guess I'm getting lazy. As for the rear main, I'll probably just leave it alone unless it's leaking as you mentioned. I figure the new clutch won't last too terribly long anyhow before going in again, hopefully I can get 20k out of it. My local indy quoted it as a 7.5 hour job, and there labor rate is only $85/hr..... for about $650, it's seeming more and more worth it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Moosepuck have you experienced any clutch slippage or are you performing the upgrade in anticipation of the 19t upgrade? I also have the jzw stg3 tune on my car and its been running strong with no slippage thus far.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Moosepuck have you experienced any clutch slippage or are you performing the upgrade in anticipation of the 19t upgrade? I also have the jzw stg3 tune on my car and its been running strong with no slippage thus far.
on the stock clutch?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes I am currently running the stock clutch and am experiencing no slippage at 73k. Just curious about others experiences with the limitations of he stock hardware. I plan on doing the 19t upgrade next summer and will have to upgrade the clutch before then.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have some slippage under heavy load in 4th,5th and 6th. I rarely get out on the highway and really only use the power in 1st-3rd though so I haven't been in any hurry. I have about 54,xxx miles on her now.

edit: I see you're in Maine. Funny we were on vacation, headed to Kennebunkport when I found out it was slipping, slowed me down just a little bit :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice yea that's just up the highway from me. Makes me nervous that your clutch is slipping with less miles than mine think I might look into upgrading sooner than later has anyone on this forum had any experience with the black diamond clutches offered from partsforsaabs?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Hey guys,

Hows it going :) What is amazing is that you have the full on stg 3 tune and Jeremy does not have the full on version, so you just never know with these cars. The Spec is on a few cars that we have now and working well. I know there are lots of horror stories with these clutches, but most are related to the 6 puck stg 3 disk clutch. I think if you want the best clutch that will last the longest, you will have to go for the best one that Spec offers and that is the Spec stg 3+ clutch, it has a large solid disk that has minimal chatter and the last 3 cars we have put this clutch in felt stock and held all the torque we could throw at it. They seem to last much longer than the 6 puck disk too, around 40k on the last one !

John

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice yea that's just up the highway from me. Makes me nervous that your clutch is slipping with less miles than mine think I might look into upgrading sooner than later has anyone on this forum had any experience with the black diamond clutches offered from partsforsaabs?
I actually sent them an email, they told me they don't have anything that will hold the stage 5 power level. I also had a passenger and a full vacation load headed up your way, the extra weight may have had a little do with the early slippage, I haven't pushed it in the higher gears since I felt it once, I don't want to trash that $$$$$flywheel.

Hey guys,

Hows it going :) What is amazing is that you have the full on stg 3 tune and Jeremy does not have the full on version, so you just never know with these cars. The Spec is on a few cars that we have now and working well. I know there are lots of horror stories with these clutches, but most are related to the 6 puck stg 3 disk clutch. I think if you want the best clutch that will last the longest, you will have to go for the best one that Spec offers and that is the Spec stg 3+ clutch, it has a large solid disk that has minimal chatter and the last 3 cars we have put this clutch in felt stock and held all the torque we could throw at it. They seem to last much longer than the 6 puck disk too, around 40k on the last one !

John
Yep, I'm quite nervous about the Spec, the last one I had on the NG was crap, and there's nothing inexpensive about the whole deal so I've got my fingers crossed that all will be okay. They must put out some good stuff sometimes because they're still in business! Let me know if you have any doubts on this stage 2+ I'm sitting on though. Sounds like it's working well for CJ.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Your past experience was from a mis-match of parts that ended up not working well, I was trying to save people money. These new ones on the 93 cars seem to be working well, have a few on the stg 2+ with no issues and a couple on the stg 3+ with no issues.

John

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did my clutch myself and replaced the DMF with a used one out of a wreck (actually used the slave, plate, DMF and Pressure plate). It had 4k on it. From what I see on the 2.8 the rear main is a BEAST to get too. I didnt see it, it wasnt leaking and I let it be. 120k on mine. I didnt use new bolts on the FW, probably should have but I just locktighted the old ones and torqued to spec, plus a bit. I will say be prepared to replace the bolts on the slave, I broke two, they are TINY. I replaced with allen bolts. Its not a hard job, if you are handy and have the right tools/WIS etc, but its worth paying to get it done, if you need it back soon. I was in NO hurry as I have an extra car. Good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
John thanks again, the car is running smoother and stronger at stg 3 than it was at stg 1. Power delivery is much more liniar and controllable:

So you would recommend the spec stg 3+ clutch then with the dmf for a tend 2.8t)

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
There is no smf at this time that I know of and if you want the best clutch that Spec offers, its the stg 3+ clutch, it will hold the most torque and last the longest and its normally has the best pedal feel and engagement. It is their premiere clutch, but it cost the most too... Stg 2+ is holding the 19T just fine, but not sure how long they are going to last, people have just started to upgrade to the 19T turbos in the past couple of years,

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts