SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue started a few months ago and I can repeat the problem, but it hasn't really affected normal day-to-day driving, so I haven't made it a priority.

Ok, so did some reading around the forums for engine stutter and have reached 2 common causes: an issue with the fuel system or ignition system.

Car:
- 2007 Aero (2.8 V6T)
- 80k miles
- 6 speed manual transmission
- Laser red :D
The symptoms:
- Engine stutter under heavy load, while less than 3000 RPM. Does not exhibit behavior at higher engine speed.
- Typically 3rd - 6th gear
- Correlates when boost is maxed out (per the gauge)
- NO CEL or engine codes (via OBDII reader)

Steps taken:
- Change spark plugs
- Clean MAF (via another thread I found around here)
- Oil change (just b/c it was time)

Before replacing coil packs or a fuel pump, I'd like to pick the community's brains. Any suggestions on diagnostic steps I should perform or does anyone have an idea on where I should start? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
529 Posts
High probability that your getting misfires due to a coil going bad. Only easy way to find out which one is to log some data. Your options are to have a shop with a TechII take a drive with you, Android phone, tablet with torque app and bluetooth OBII, HP Tuners or some other data logging device.

Just went through this 2 months ago. Used HP tuners to identify which cylinder the misfire was coming from and changed the coil. I could have changed just the one coil but decided to install new plugs and change them all since they are prone to fail with this engine.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I did what Jim did.

It's too bad you didn't do the coil packs when doing the plugs and you'll now have to go a back in there.

Again sounds like the coil packs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Adding here that I had similar symptoms and after.changing spark plugs AND coils the car is now back to.normal.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that the car being laser red is the issue.

Paint it some other color.
Sense of humor. Love it! Anyways, the coil pack is what the consensus seems to be. I have Torque Pro (android market) and a bluetooth OBDII reader/scanner. I'll see if I can read any data associated with firing (or lack thereof). I just don't want to replace all 6 at around $100 a pop!

@ComicFlash: No kidding. What a pain to remove all the cabling and getting back there. At least changing the coil packs should be easier than the plugs themselves. Thanks for everyone's response. I'll report back when I've done some investigation.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
One a rare and serious note, I agree that the coils are the "usual suspect". What my mech did was to replace the faulty #3 and also the one along side it since it is a beech to get to and that (use of a mech), will run the price of a $65 coil to $100 just since that is the traditional mark-up. I watched him do the replacement and it was like careful brain surgery. The "book" says to take the manifold off and some other stuff, but a steady hand can do it without (for the hard to get to rear ones), for me with some med issues it was worth it.

Good luck, but plugs and coils .... just think of them as maintenance items on the 6 banger.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just to add... I briefly got an error about misfiring almost one year ago but nothing ever since except the rough engine, although I knew I had two faulty coils.

Replaced them all just for good measure and it is like a different car now...

For the price I paid for coils and the spark plugs (NGK Iridium) well worth it.
It is pulling like a train again and I can put my foot down and no jitters anymore the low RPM range - was getting it specially in 4th and now it is smooth as butter.

My mechanic also confirmed that the rear ones are a ***** to get to ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Anyone used these? They are made in China, I wonder how reliable they are. I've seen them online for $25/each.
I guess at that price it's worth a shot.
I have them in right now - so far so good, but then again, they have only been in for a week.

But again... at that price... worth a shot!

I kept the old coils, just in case I need a spare.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I have them in right now - so far so good, but then again, they have only been in for a week.

But again... at that price... worth a shot!

I kept the old coils, just in case I need a spare.
That's a great deal and I was just going to ask what brand or where they are made.
I wouldn't buy them if they were made in China. Spend a few more $$ and the real Bosch ones made in Germany.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Vtuner recommends the Irridium with a slightly different gap from stock if you have a tune. The specs are somewhere in that thread.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solved!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions/comments. I followed the ebay link provided by Jaco2k and installed the coil packs this weekend. Car runs like a charm!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts