SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I'm trying to find out what are the options for increasing power on 9-5 NG >2010 2.8 XWD. I know there is stage 1 , which takes it to ~335hp with Ecu tune only, but what is next?
This car is very unpopular and it's hard to find any information in this matter.
Are there any limitations or restrictions, can we make more power? Can we go beyond 350KM i.e.? What mods would be needed? How is the transmission?
Anyone tried to do it?

thanks

·
Registered
c900 vert, 04 9-5 5pd wagon, 10 9-5 aero, 11 9-5 XWDsold
240 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the hp is limited by the stock turbo.
There really isn't anything published, seems like anytime anyone finds or does something it's a secretive secret.
The only tunes out there is maptun & VT & those tunes are similar in numbers but VT costs twice as much but will do a custom tune for additional cost, but no one has said anything about doing any additional tuning. There is a third tuner (or was), but I can't remember the name.
As a renowned tuner told me that the lack of demand and with limited numbers, it was not worth the time and cost of R&D.

BC has tinkered with the ng parts & remote start for 10's, but nothing more has been published. Home - BC Innovate

Do88 has a intercooler and coolant hoses. ng9-5 - Saab - By vehicle (do88.se)

I personally have the maptun & it definitely helps liven up the car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Maptun looks nice, but TBH I think this engine has much bigger potential than this.
Out of curiosity, it helps a lot in 0-60 time ?

·
Super Moderator
2,440 Posts
The biggest problem shooting for big power on an NG 9-5 is tuning. There is no easy interface like HP Tuners. The car is heavy and the small 2.8 is octane limited very quickly. Even on a plain VT Stage 0 tune with 1.5-2.0 pounds more boost and highest octane street gas (93 here in US) the knock sensors are active. An E85 setup is really what is needed but without the tuning capability, no one’s tried it. I did a bigger intercooler and meth injection which definitely helped, but the car was still far from fast.

·
Registered
c900 vert, 04 9-5 5pd wagon, 10 9-5 aero, 11 9-5 XWDsold
240 Posts
Looks like you've got some intake goodies & a strut bar.
Mind if I ask where from?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like you've got some intake goodies & a strut bar.
Mind if I ask where from?
Of course not ask away, I need to be better about sharing my car builds! I am from Pocatello, Idaho USA. I own bcinnovate.com I will be releasing some more products here soon. School was in the way for a little while, but now that I am finished I'll be able to put a lot more time into the development of new products. My car is a 2010 9-5 aero paired with a Garrett gt3076 turbo, Hirsch body kit, diffuser, and spoiler, on tesla turbines.

·
Super Moderator
2,440 Posts
Of course not ask away, I need to be better about sharing my car builds! I am from Pocatello, Idaho USA. I own bcinnovate.com I will be releasing some more products here soon. School was in the way for a little while, but now that I am finished I'll be able to put a lot more time into the development of new products. My car is a 2010 9-5 aero paired with a Garrett gt3076 turbo, Hirsch body kit, diffuser, and spoiler, on tesla turbines.
Have you addressed the necked down air path that feeds the air box? What are you doing for tuning?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can see that thread is getting bigger. Keep it up guys, this info is useful ;)
Brennyn21, You have a really nice car, graphite wheels fit too. congrats.
it is Your car? Are these Tesla's wheels?

I did some quick reaserch and found out that Maptun, VT, BSR manage to make it ~500Nm which seems to be quite nice already and useful for such a heavy car, but still not so much for its theoretical possibilites. According to what You just wrote now I understand why these companies don't offer anything above these numbers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can see that thread is getting bigger. Keep it up guys, this info is useful ;)
Brennyn21, You have a really nice car, graphite wheels fit too. congrats.
it is Your car? Are these Tesla's wheels?

I did some quick reaserch and found out that Maptun, VT, BSR manage to make it ~500Nm which seems to be quite nice already and useful for such a heavy car, but still not so much for its theoretical possibilites. According to what You just wrote now I understand why these companies don't offer anything above these numbers.
Haha yes that is my car it has changed a lot the big turbo is fairly new about 2 months since finished now it has all the hirsch parts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just out of curiosity - saab's turbine wheels alu 105 looks fairly the same, why didn't You use these? :D They are still available, even in black color.
And keep us updated if You make any ECU tuning - I'm really curious how far we can go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just out of curiosity - saab's turbine wheels alu 105 looks fairly the same, why didn't You use these? :D They are still available, even in black color.
And keep us updated if You make any ECU tuning - I'm really curious how far we can go.
I wanted something different the Tesla wheels are 21" and in my opinion look phenomenal. I need to upgrade my injectors next and then go from there. It definitely isn't a fast car with the larger turbo it just looks cool and I thought why not do something different. My turbo X is still far superior in how fun it is to drive and acceleration-wise. Though the NG95 is definitely an amazing car, especially for road trips.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I took a closer look at numbers - Maptun makes 330hp/470Nm whereas VT ~540NM and Hirsch only 430Nm, and all of them at the same power range. The difference is quite big. Any clue why?

·
Super Moderator
2,440 Posts
I haven't and I haven't had any issue at my current power level. It hasn't been any restriction yet. As for tuning brian at vermont tuned it. I might have gabe at pedro performance tune it when i turn it up next.
Did you dyno it? Did you upgrade the intercooler at the same time?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts