SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a knocking/slapping noise coming directly from the top center of the engine. Where the manifold is, maybe under it. Sounds like something is loose and moving around.

Cleaned my maf sensor, throttle body and map sensor today. Just started noticing it.

The knock doesn't get louder as I rev the engine, in fact it seems to go away. Once it's back down to idle, that's when I hear it.

The AC is off.

No lights on the dash. Almost sounds like a diesel slapping. What could this be? Please help me get this ironed out!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Sounds a bit like chain slapping.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: after driving the past two days it sounds like it went away. Think it was just a fluke thing, not sure. Going to be back under the hood soon so will update. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mileage? any check engine light that comes and goes?
57k. I did another oil change recently and seem to hear it a lot less. Have only heard it once and it was on a warm startup. It seems like warm starts are when I hear it most.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would running a thicker oil be beneficial maybe? I live in Florida and it's hot year round so I think it would be alright, but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Could be you're experiencing the warm restart misfire, which does result in some interesting noises. I've had it on a few occasions, recently it was bad enough it threw a CEL, but it typically does not.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be you're experiencing the warm restart misfire, which does result in some interesting noises. I've had it on a few occasions, recently it was bad enough it threw a CEL, but it typically does not.
Put new plugs and coils in 2k ago. It definitely doesn't come around as often since I changed my oil and haven't heard it since I seafoamed a couple days ago. Not too worried about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts