SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 9-3 aero ss 6speed manual stage0
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some louder feedback from my exhaust. I've reviewed many threads on the topic. Some were old, not sure if there's more options available now? I found a reasonably priced OBX cat back exhaust system, and a few others that are out of my price range. Id be fine with just mufflers, if i knew what they would sound like. Or do i just go with the muffler delete? I read on her that it can kill your MPG so that gives me pause. Im looking for a sound just a bit louder than stock. I swear since i went stage 0, the car is quieter! Sorta blows my mind, cause the tune is awsome! Opinions and thought would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Turbos quiet the exhaust system. The muffler has no bearing on MPG. You may have mistaken something else for the muffler when reading (catalytic converter, etc) but since mufflers are after all of the sensors their sole job is noise reduction & there is no feedback loop regarding their presence.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
316 Posts
There is something to be said about exhaust scavenging affecting MPG, but as long as you don't change the total length of the exhaust, it should perform equally if not better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbos quiet the exhaust system. The muffler has no bearing on MPG. You may have mistaken something else for the muffler when reading (catalytic converter, etc) but since mufflers are after all of the sensors their sole job is noise reduction & there is no feedback loop regarding their presence.
I could be very wrong, but i think it was Swedspeed who mentioned MPG going down after muffler delete. I could be way off, i looked at a lot of threads. Appreciate the reply and input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is something to be said about exhaust scavenging affecting MPG, but as long as you don't change the total length of the exhaust, it should perform equally if not better.
Thanks for always replying to my questions Mr. MadRomeo. Thought i was hung out to dry on this topic. Are you running a stock exhaust on your 08 aero? Have you ever herd a muffler delete in person? Ive watch the YouTube clips, but its tuff to gage how loud it actually is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go with a muffler delete and keep everything else stock, just got that done to mine and it sounds amazing, it keeps the nice low base tone but just amplifies it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go with a muffler delete and keep everything else stock, just got that done to mine and it sounds amazing, it keeps the nice low base tone but just amplifies it
Great to hear that man! Got all the pipes tonight. I start cutting 1st thing in the morning! Did you keep the stock tips? Or did you get different ones?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also got new tips, 4inch stainless, it fills the pre-cut holes much nicer, not sure exactly how it changed the sound because I didn't hear it before or after the OEM tips

·
Super Moderator
9,688 Posts
I don't think the muffler delete changed my MPG. My tune definitely did though. I have a Turbo-X resonator installed too, sounds way better than plain Aero.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:cautious:
Sounds bad a*s Swedspeed! Just finished mine a hour ago. Its not as loud as yours. I cut mine off after the split. Then just ran 3 inch pipe out the back. The rest is all bone stock. I liked the way it sounded, til i listened to yours. Now i want to go jam a screwdriver through my cat so it purrs louder! Do you guys think i should get my stage 0 tune updayed because of the muffler delete??

·
Super Moderator
9,688 Posts
:cautious:
Sounds bad a*s Swedspeed! Just finished mine a hour ago. Its not as loud as yours. I cut mine off after the split. Then just ran 3 inch pipe out the back. The rest is all bone stock. I liked the way it sounded, til i listened to yours. Now i want to go jam a screwdriver through my cat so it purrs louder! Do you guys think i should get my stage 0 tune updayed because of the muffler delete??
No, flash doesn't care of about mufflers. Don't mess with your cat either.

Reactions: Gage77

·
Registered
88 SPG, 96 9000 Aero, 03 9-5 Wagon, 99 9-5 5spd, 03 9-3 SS, 06 9-3 Combi Aero
23 Posts
Thank for all the info. Looking into doing both of my V6s now.

The XWD center resonator is very interesting. I plan on doing cat delete, upper and lower.
my original plan was to remove center muffler and running rears only. Still might try that out.

·
Super Moderator
9,688 Posts
Thank for all the info. Looking into doing both of my V6s now.

The XWD center resonator is very interesting. I plan on doing cat delete, upper and lower.
my original plan was to remove center muffler and running rears only. Still might try that out.
I wouldn't mess with the cats personally but to each his own. I also tried removing the Aero center resonator and it doesn't help the sound any, just increases cabin drone. Don't waste your time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So good plan would be leave center, remove rear mufflers, possibly add XWD resonator?

·
Super Moderator
9,688 Posts
So good plan would be leave center, remove rear mufflers, possibly add XWD resonator?
It sounds pretty good with a muffler delete on its own. Adding the XWD resonator is a bit tricky because there really isn't a spot for it since the underbody cutout is different on the FWD Aeros. Or, you can just replace the stock mufflers with something more aggressive in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a spare stock system, I’ll give muffler delete a try.

I just put a JT 3 inch on my 04 4cyl aero and I love it. Not too loud, but rips under load

·
Super Moderator
9,688 Posts
I have a spare stock system, I’ll give muffler delete a try.

I just put a JT 3 inch on my 04 4cyl aero and I love it. Not too loud, but rips under load
The sound the V6 produces puts the 4-cyl to shame

Reactions: Saabdrifter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine are bone stock, and very underwhelming.

Looking forward to making some noise. Probably keep stock tips as I like they look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts