SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in Florida where it's hot as hell every day. Recently picked up an 08 Aero and had a quick question about cool down. Shouldn't the fans continue to run for a bit after the car is off? My last car was a 2015 BMW and the fans would sometimes stay on for a minute or two after shutoff. Wouldn't happen every time, but usually after longer driving periods. I know these 2.8s get hot, and can't remember if my other Aeros had the fans going after shutoff. Is it only at certain temps? I remember reading in the manual to leave the car running for a minute or two after your journey to cool things down. Just want to take as best care of this motor as possible since it's low miles. Will probably upgrade the radiator down the line because it gets so hot here.

Edit: IF I remember correctly (heavy if), my 07 Aero would stay blowing for a couple minutes after driving.

Edit again: now that I think of it I should've posted this in the questions too stupid to ask thread. My bad mods, feel free to move.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 9-3 Aero 2.8, usually the fans don't kick on when I stopped. I'm far from Florida, it's colder here!
Good to hear. Well, the car is running great and temps look good so not gonna worry about it. Will let the car idle after journeying for a minute or two on extra hot days, though. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Good to hear. Well, the car is running great and temps look good so not gonna worry about it. Will let the car idle after journeying for a minute or two on extra hot days, though. Thanks!
I live in Arizona. Dry heat but 110 or more this time of year. My fans come on after a 25 minute, 12 mile drive home every workday and stay on for 3-5 minutes. I also open the hood in the garage to assist in the cool down. Something is not right IMO if your fans are not kicking in. 2008 V6 2.8L SC

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Arizona. Dry heat but 110 or more this time of year. My fans come on after a 25 minute, 12 mile drive home every workday and stay on for 3-5 minutes. I also open the hood in the garage to assist in the cool down. Something is not right IMO if your fans are not kicking in. 2008 V6 2.8L SC
Could having my bumper/temperature sensor off have something to do with it? Have had it off since I got the car since I've got a new one coming in

·
Registered
308 Posts
As I understand it, there's a software update that allows the cooling fans to run a bit longer on shutdown. FWIW, my '08 Aero does NOT run long after shutdown.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I understand it, there's a software update that allows the cooling fans to run a bit longer on shutdown. FWIW, my '08 Aero does NOT run long after shutdown.
Makes me wish I had a tech 2 to look at this stuff and update. I find it concerning that my fans don't run at all on shutdown. Maybe the car just isn't hot enough though. I do have my bumper off right now.

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
Makes me wish I had a tech 2 to look at this stuff and update. I find it concerning that my fans don't run at all on shutdown. Maybe the car just isn't hot enough though. I do have my bumper off right now.
What temp is your coolant when you shut the car down? If it’s not outside of normal operating range, there’s no reason for the fan to run. My ‘11 9-5 Aero had the 2.8, and the fan only ran after shutdown on rare occasion.

Reactions: danjrowe27

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What temp is your coolant when you shut the car down? If it’s not outside of normal operating range, there’s no reason for the fan to run. My ‘11 9-5 Aero had the 2.8, and the fan only ran after shutdown on rare occasion.
It never goes above operating temperature. It's probably normal and I'm just tripping over nothing. I'm a little used to my BMW having the fans run occasionally after a nice hot drive haha

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
We have two 2.8 aeros, a manual and an automatic. They both allegedly have the software update to allow cooling fans to run longer (up to 10 minutes after engine shut down). Fairly certain 2008 already had this software as this was mainly a fix combined with the coolant tank recall which I think occurred before 2008 model year. Anyway, the manual car which has ~130K miles would consistently have the fan run after shut down. The automatic which has much lower mileage (75K miles) never has fan run after shut down. So perhaps manual/automatic has something to do with it or perhaps age/condition of cooling system as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have two 2.8 aeros, a manual and an automatic. They both allegedly have the software update to allow cooling fans to run longer (up to 10 minutes after engine shut down). Fairly certain 2008 already had this software as this was mainly a fix combined with the coolant tank recall which I think occurred before 2008 model year. Anyway, the manual car which has ~130K miles would consistently have the fan run after shut down. The automatic which has much lower mileage (75K miles) never has fan run after shut down. So perhaps manual/automatic has something to do with it or perhaps age/condition of cooling system as well.
Excellent info. I've got under 60k, the only time I ever hear the fan is if I've got the AC running. Age could have something to do with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts