SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
does anyone know if you can replace the internal oil cooler with an external?
if so what size should I use.

thanks
bob

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral,Bob

Why replace the oil cooler ?
It is best, IMO, to upgrade this with the improved stainless steel unit- as Ragtop has so adroitly done a while back...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hello Bob, why do you want to replace the oil cooler?

Its a pretty effective unit and does help to warm the oil up on cold starts,that said if your seeing signs of oil in the coolent its time to dig out the spanners...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi and happy new year to all.

the reason I wanted to replace the oil cooler is because of the price. I cannot see my way to paying $200 to $400 for a cooler that is known to go bad.
I have replaced it with a $40 external it doesnt get cold enough here for the oil to need to be heated quickly. it gets very hot here 110 115 and this cooler keeps the oil about 15 to 20 deg. cooler.

thanks
bob:cool:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
An excellent argument is presented..

I just hope that an external cooler is possible to fit without a lot of risky complications...
And what would Ragtop say :cheesy: :cheesy: ??

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
saabbob said:
is because of the price. I cannot see my way to paying $200 to $400 for a cooler that is known to go bad.
You make it sound like the oil cooler has to be replaced with every other oil change :confused: The fact is once its been changed, its most likely the replacement part installed was designed and engineered to better specifications than the original and the concerns over the original fault have be addressed and fixed. I've got over 250,000km on my V6 right now and my cooling system shows no sign of eminent failure.

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT

IMO

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with Diosnoche, i have the original oil cooler on my car with 135,000 miles and its still going strong,when it does fail i'll replace it with the much improved stainless version which you can source from any G.M. dealer,they only cost £75 in the U.K.

Saying that i do live in an area with colder winters so the ability to warm the oil on start up is a must...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
We'll start at the top; the engine was designed with the internal cooler and its primary roll is to keep the oil at optimum operating temperature, the advantage of having it cooled to water is the speed at which the engine warms up; this old V6 is far and away the fastest Saab of its generation to get off its cold start [good for the environment and economy]. Oil to water coolers are far more efficient than oil to air [second law of thermodynamics as I recall is the explanation for that].

As for the coolers life, sure enough almost every one will fail in the field of the original design; even if coolant change intervals have been adhered to it seems they'll go and leak eventually. The replacement unit is now in stainless steel and will outlast the car it is fitted to almost certainly and as such represents a good investment.

As for doing away with the oil to water cooler, this is indeed quite feasible; I only know of one person that has done this, it is on a HOT Calibra V6 that is used mostly for trackdays - he's running his engine beyond the factory cooling capacity and has changed the radiator too.
The two pipes that come from the block besides the oil filter need to be replaced with lines to and from the cooler that will be set in front of the radiator, the outlet pipe needs to be equipped with a thermostatic flow valve [you do not run an oil to air cooler until the engine is fully warm otherwise you'll have engine damage] also the thermostatic valve will incorporate a bypass valve just in-case something happens to the cooler or its pipes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what kind of damage will occure without a thermostatic valve ? I thought it would be just higher oil pressure until it warms up.

bob

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
saabbob said:
what kind of damage will occure without a thermostatic valve ? I thought it would be just higher oil pressure until it warms up.
You'd be running the oil over cooled for longer periods of time, it does not lubricate properly until it is up to normal operating temperature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts