SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah well I've got this 2.5 V6 '97 900 SE.

I've never even looked at it yet but still my mind is working...

The current owner says "mechanic says motor is bad". Well, a motor can't really go "bad"... maybe a headgasket, timing belt, hell maybe someone unplugged a sparkplug wire :lol:

But assuming the worst... I've looked for used engines. Cheapest 900 V6? A '94 $800. Cheapest Saturn LS V6? $350 - and it was only 85 000 miles.

So hmm... 12 more horsepower, 500cc more displacement, six years newer, a lot less milage for less than 1/2 the price. I like I like I like!! :D

So basically is this a bolt-in installation? I'm hoping the most difficult part of the job is scraping the "2.5" off the engine cover and writing "3.0" in it's place ;)

edit> Oh yeah I should mention that the 2.5 and 3.0 in question are both versions of the 54 degree V6 formerly produced in Ellesmere Port.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The hardest part would be the changing over of the ECU and all the engine management stuff.. This is much more entailed than back in the good old days of stuffing a Cadillac V8 into a Studebaker or an Oldsmobile V8 into a Hudson..

I'd think it would be easier to repair the existing engine - heads, valves, belts.. as RagTop has done successfully..

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
earthworm said:
The hardest part would be the changing over of the ECU and all the engine management stuff.. This is much more entailed than back in the good old days of stuffing a Cadillac V8 into a Studebaker or an Oldsmobile V8 into a Hudson..

I'd think it would be easier to repair the existing engine - heads, valves, belts.. as RagTop has done successfully..
V6man54degree can correct me if I am wrong, but the Motronic ECu should be able to run the 3.0 just fine. I have heard there are no problems swapping the powerplant. I recently rebuilt mine, and I wish I would have been able to do this same swap, it would have saved alot of money. At the time, I wasn't able to find a good donor. I have since found a couple, and have even thought about picking up a spare!

Tboy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi I worked for the v6 plant for a good few years - and yes it will work - all you have to do is swap over all the inlet and exhaust manifolds and rocker covers (fit new gaskets) - the same ecu will be ok as the engine management measures the air drawn into the engine and callculates the fuel mixture.

all the old sensors will have to be swapped as the plugs will be different

900t said:
Yeah well I've got this 2.5 V6 '97 900 SE.

I've never even looked at it yet but still my mind is working...

The current owner says "mechanic says motor is bad". Well, a motor can't really go "bad"... maybe a headgasket, timing belt, hell maybe someone unplugged a sparkplug wire :lol:

But assuming the worst... I've looked for used engines. Cheapest 900 V6? A '94 $800. Cheapest Saturn LS V6? $350 - and it was only 85 000 miles.

So hmm... 12 more horsepower, 500cc more displacement, six years newer, a lot less milage for less than 1/2 the price. I like I like I like!! :D

So basically is this a bolt-in installation? I'm hoping the most difficult part of the job is scraping the "2.5" off the engine cover and writing "3.0" in it's place ;)

edit> Oh yeah I should mention that the 2.5 and 3.0 in question are both versions of the 54 degree V6 formerly produced in Ellesmere Port.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff.

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Don't forget you may need to change sump pan and pickup pipe too, is one manual and the other auto? there's stuff to swap here too.

I didn't get your numbers though, 12 more horses, sounds poor, the 3.0 here is nearer 40 more horses.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over here they rated the LS V6 models at 182hp, 170 on the 900.

But then again the B308 9000 had 210hp.

And then the turboed 9-5 V6 had only 200 :roll:

The LS is an automatic, mine is a 5-vit. So I will need change the flywheel etc, and install a pilot bearing in the crank.

That is if the engine is finished... it might just be a loose pulley or something for all I know :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
900t said:

And then the turboed 9-5 V6 had only 200 :roll: [?QUOTE] look at the 9-5 V6 torque plot though - it's like a high performance diesel :lol:

That is if the engine is finished... it might just be a loose pulley or something for all I know :lol:
could be something simple, yes, combination of a dud tension pulley on the serp belt and a vac' leak, combined these would sound and run like a toasted engine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi mate - only the rear wheel drive variant had a bearing in the crankshaft! you will need to change over the flywheel though. - don't expect the same bhp using the standard ecu and inlet manifold.

The saturn engine with its cuppa manifold was built for torque rather than power(the longer the inlet tract the greater the torque / dual ram system for good low down torque) as i stated in another thread it had different pistons than the opel / saab 9000 V6 to lower the compression. And the turbo 95 V6 - is a low pressure turbo - same power but massive amount of torque at 2000 rpm (we had to get a special gearbox made to take it on the test rig!) I was told by one of the saab engineers that during the design stage he was running the 95 V6 turbo engine in a 93 manual. he told me that there was so much torque that he could go around a hair pin bend on a hill in 5th gear and still pull away!!! they had to down tune them!!!!!

900t said:

The LS is an automatic, mine is a 5-vit. So I will need change the flywheel etc, and install a pilot bearing in the crank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
By the way thats BHP (brake horse power )or ps not HP (horse power)- another difference between the pond! if I remember correctly 150 Hp = about 136 BHP or PS

900t said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts